generic

The Weekend Scene: April 17-19

It’s almost over, everyone. And if you’re a senior, it’s just plain old over. The end of the year is quickly approaching and that couldn’t be a more perfect time to get acquainted with everything AU has to offer. To make sure you leave AU with the best memories, this Weekend Scene is filled with campus events. After open mics, social media summits, concerts and film screenings, you’ll be saying “Once an eagle, always an eagle.”

Social Learning Summit 2015 in SIS

If you’ve never been to the annual Social Learning Summit, you’ve been missing out. It’s kind of hard to think that a group of underclassmen and upperclassmen can put on the well-thought out, professional conference centered around social media and education, but AU’s Social Media Club has somehow been able to do just that for the past two years. If you’re into journalism, startups, food, branding, entertainment and a whole lot more, SLS15 has a host of people who will be talking about these topics. As if access to people from Vox, BuzzFeed, POLITICO and CNN weren’t awesome enough, there’s free Cava to boot. $5.

When: Friday and Saturday, April 17-18, 6:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.

Where: American University’s School of International Service

Metro: C’mon.

District Limits presents Jackson Ryland & Jus Nowhere at TBD

The best events have locations that can only be announced the day of. House and techno fans can get down with a DJ set happening this Friday in Tenleytown. District Limits, a self-described D.C.-based electronic blog, has plenty of ties to AU and our student-run radio station WVAU. A few of those DJs will also be a part of the Ryland and Nowhere set. Garrett Doyle, David Hamilton and Divided by Three are all sure to make wherever they play a hot spot. More info on the location can be found on the event page. Free entry.

When: Friday, April 17, 10:00 p.m.

Where: Check event page day-of.

When: Saturday

AU Independent Arts Open Mic Night and Poetry Reading in the amphitheatre

AUIAC might be one of the most underrated clubs at AU, given they’ve brought impressive metal bands to campus and have put on plenty of worthy arts events. This spring, AUIAC is adding an open mic night to their calendar. Want to perform a dance, song, poem, joke or something else? This might be your last chance to test your art before the year ends. If you don’t have an idea of what you want to do right now, you can sign up 30 minutes before the event starts and get that adrenaline going. Free.

When: Saturday, April 18, 7:00 p.m.

Where: American University Amphitheatre

WVAU’s Capitol Punishment show: The Antlers with Boon

WVAU is hosting these two bands for its spring Capitol Punishment concert. Headliner, The Antlers, can be called sad indie or jazzy rock but one thing's for sure it’s an impressively polished band. The sprawling, big-arrangement sound has given the three Brooklynites enough clout to get recognized by Pitchfork and NPR Music. Both streaks of media glory came and went in 2009, but The Antlers seem to be making a resurgence with 2014 album “Familiars.” Four years later, the band is picking up steam and growing up, and it has the songs to show it. The Antlers build on vocalist Peter Silberman’s talent for seeming lustful and lovelorn, while cymbals crush over each note. Seeing the trio live gives fans, old and new, a way to see them tell the story of their music progress.

The Antlers’ sonically experimental sound will be complemented by new D.C. band Boon. Fresh off of their “Rome EP” drop, the electronic set mixes guitars with echoing vocals, sometimes developing entire atmospheres with songs like “The Flood.” Given how Boon was a finalist for NPR Music’s Tiny Desk Concert contest and The Antlers already played a set at the legendary desk, it seems like a Saturday night no-brainer. Free with AU ID.

When: Saturday, April 18, 8:30 p.m.- 11:00 p.m.

Where: American University’s School of International Service Abramson Family Founders Room

When: Sunday

“The Hunting Ground:” A Film Screening and Discussion

It’s Sexual Assault Awareness month. If you haven’t shown respect to the millions of women, men and children who have faced sexual assault, seeing “The Hunting Ground” might be your best option. The film focuses on multitudes of rape, harassment, stalking and other cases of assault taking places on college campuses. A panel of AU administrators and students will discuss the film and how its issues relate to AU. Even though this is a passive form of action, it’s a start for people wanting to educate themselves about sexual assault on college campuses. Free.

When: Sunday, April 19, 6:30 p.m.

Where: American University Ward 1

jsmith@theeagleonline.com