Weekend Scene

The Weekend Scene: March 6-8

For those of you who will still be in the District during spring break, here are some events that will kick off your week of freedom in the best ways. These events are also great ways to get to know people outside of the AU bubble.

Guerrilla Queer Bar at TBA

You know an event is cool when the venue can only be announced hours before. This Friday, The Welcoming Committee will take over a “typically straight” place in the District and make it an LGBTQA spot. The Committee is known for doing this in Atlanta, Chicago and Boston. The first of every month, The Welcoming Committee takes over a straight bar. For now, that location is unknown but check back here for more information. Join the hundreds of rowdy queers for a good time.

When: Friday, March 6, 9 p.m.

Where: TBA, sign up here to be in the know

Metro: Based on the TBA location

Shit.

One of AU’s own seniors, the woman who started #KancelitKerwin, is putting on her one-woman debut production at the Katzen Arts Center. Rosemary Cipriano has quite a sense of humor and is putting it to good use to talk about Long Island, life and love. Join Cipriano in the Studio Theatre for this free event. For one reason or another, you’ll be talking about “Shit.”

When: Friday, March 6, 8 p.m.

Where: Studio Theater, AU’s Katzen Arts Center

Cumbia Reggae Party with Kickoman at Haydees Restaurant

Get in touch with D.C.’s underground reggae scene with its very own Latin reggae band Kickoman. The band is set on marketing itself as reggae, but the night is sure to include ska, funk, psych-vibes, merengue, salsa and hip-hop. For those of you who are new to D.C. or are seniors that haven’t lived yet, this is the perfect way to get out of your comfort zone with an open mind and hip-shaking moves. Free.

When: Saturday, March 7, 10 p.m.

Where: Haydees Restaurant, 3102 Mount Pleasant Street NW

Metro: 96 from Tenleytown

Lafayette Gilchrist's New Volcanoes at the Dance Institute of Washington

Lafayette Gilchrist hails from D.C., lives in Baltimore and is finally returning to the stage to get the Chocolate City in touch with its Go-Go roots. He’ll be playing new tunes, so it’ll be interesting to see what he has to debut. The Allyn Johnson Trio will join Gilchrist on the stage. Tickets can be found here.

When: Sunday, March 8, 7 p.m.

Where: The Dance Institute of Washington, 3400 14th Street, NW

Metro: 96 from Tenleytown

@Psjmarie - jsmith@theeagleonline.com