AU student and volunteer EMT hospitalized after car accident

Correction appended. 

An AU student working as an emergency medical technician for the Glen Echo Fire Department was released from the hospital on Feb. 22 after a severe auto accident on the Capital Beltway on Feb 15.

Sydney Marshall, an AU student in the College of Arts and Sciences and a second victim, 26-year-old Thomas Schryver, were responding to an accident just after midnight when they were struck by a Ford F-150 driven by Maximillano Curcho.

Two of Marshall’s and Schryver’s colleagues, Meghan Quinn and Wyatt Smith, witnessed the event and put through the call for help.

AU’s Office of the Dean of Students is aware of the accident and has contacted Marshall to support her through her recovery, according to Director of Public Relations Kelly Alexander.

Marshall, Schryver and Curcho were all taken to Suburban Hospital, according to an article in Bethesda Now, a community news outlet. Those involved in the initial accident were also struck by the truck and taken to MedStar Hospital.

In a follow up article, the two were released despite having initially sustained severe injuries in the crash. Schryver is now recovering at his parents’ home while Marshall is in a rehabilitation facility.

The initial article also states that Montgomery County Fire and Rescue units believe that icy conditions were a major factor in the incident, but Maryland State Police have not yet determined an official cause for the crash. In the follow up, it was determined that the investigation of the accident would take a month to complete.

Correction: an earlier version of this article said that Marshall was in the School of International Service. She is a student in CAS. 

jodonohoe@theeagleonline.com