Flea and Feed: Bethesda Farm Women’s Market

Our flea and feed column is back this semester with a trip to Bethesda, Maryland.

Every two weeks, this column will bring you reviews of local flea and farmers markets.

According to the Montgomery Historical Society, the Bethesda Farm Women’s Market was formed in 1932 by farmers’ wives selling baked goods, preserves and produce. To this day the market is a vibrant staple of the community. The indoor market is open year-round and has an outdoor flea market in warmer months. Most shops at the market only take cash, but there is an ATM on site.

Upon entering, it is clear that the market has come a long way from just baked goods, preserves and produce. The little building housing the market is quaint, and provides a cosy enclave from the outside chill. A distinct Indian curry aroma from Spice Grill’s Restaurant stand tempts friendly Saturday shoppers. If you’re looking for something less exotic, Spring Mill Bread Company offers an assortment of fresh breads and cookies. With three locations around D.C., the company prides itself on not using preservatives and chemical additives to make its delicious bread.

There are a few stands that sell scarves, jewelry and yoga pants. One that stood out to me was G’s Glory Handbags.The company operates out of the market. All of the handbags at the stand have handmade designs. The bags are all beautiful, and I found myself having to be pulled away from one with cats on it. I will probably return to the market to purchase it.

For craftier readers, Avalon Spring Farms sells yarn made from the fur of their alpacas, llamas, Angora (aka big scary, fluffy bunnies) and colored Angora goats. The yarn is beautiful and almost had me revisiting my high school days of knitting.

If you’re looking for something to send home, photographer Peter Tomlinson showcases many of his lovely photos and postcards at the market. Tomlinson is a photographer based out of Arlington, Va., but spent much of his life in Europe. Whether you want a European or D.C. monument photograph, Tomlinson has got you covered.

A visit to the Bethesda Farm Women’s Market is a great way to get out of D.C. for an afternoon and experience the simple pleasures of fresh food, friendly people and local art.

What: Bethesda Farm Women’s Market

When: Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Metro Stop: Bethesda, Red Line