Movie Review: “Rosewater”

Jon Stewart’s directorial debut proves largely successful.

Despite being best known for his humorous political satire on “The Daily Show,” Jon Stewart proves through his directorial debut “Rosewater,” that he is capable of being serious and poignant. 

“Rosewater” is the true story of Maziar Bahari (Gael Garcia Bernal, “Y Tu Mamá También”), an Iranian-Canadian journalist at Newsweek Magazine. He took on an assignment covering the Iranian presidential elections in 2009. Bahari assures his pregnant wife (Claire Foy, “Season of the Witch”) that the trip will only take a week, but he soon meets Davood (Dmitri Leonidas, “The Monuments Men”), a charismatic cabbie and young revolutionary. Davood questions Bahari’s initial hesitation to film the violence in Iran, saying to Bahari, “You have a real weapon and you choose not to use it.” 

Bahari soon finds himself in trouble with the Iranian government for being a “spy.” He spends 118 days in an Iranian prison where he is blindfolded and subjected to psychological and physical torture by a mysterious interrogator whom he refers to as “Rosewater.” Bahari’s father was arrested for being a Communist, and his sister was arrested and killed for standing up for her political beliefs. Bahari involuntarily participates in what appears to be a dark family tradition.

Although the theme of “Rosewater” is generally dark and violent, Stewart interjects a lot of his characteristic humor and lightheartedness. However, these jokes seem out of place and downplay the gravity of Bahari’s imprisonment. 

The cinematography is simplistic and sparse. The use of color is notable as the early scenes appear warm and colorful while the prison scenes appear to be cold and removed of color. Scenes of idyllic Iranian pastures provide a stark contrast to the poverty and violence that is shown throughout the film. The film features fast cuts with real news clips and grainy footage, adding an additional dimension of authenticity. 

The film ends with Bahari saying that he’s thankful for his release and for all of the media coverage and attention surrounding his imprisonment. He asks the audience to keep in mind that there are many hidden voices and prisoners that aren’t lucky enough to have international representation and assistance. 

Grade: B

“Rosewater” (R, 103 min) is now playing at AMC Mazza Gallerie.