Movie Review: “Virunga”

Filmmaker Orlando von Einsiedel attempts to expose the injustices done upon mountain gorillas in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

When filmmaker Orlando von Einsiedel arrived in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, he intended to share a positive story from a country that is far too frequently associated with terrorist groups. Von Einsiedel started this project filming in Virunga National Park, home of Earth’s last remaining mountain gorillas.

After filming for over two years in the DRC, von Einsiedel and his film crew created "Virunga," a moving documentary about a group of people standing up against formidable outside opposition to protect a symbol of hope.

It didn’t take long for von Einseidel’s attention to shift to a much more dramatic narrative. Soco, a British oil and gas exploration company, was forcing its way into the park and threatening the habitat of a wide variety of flora and fauna with the help of some government officials. Von Einsiedel asks the guiding question: “If Virunga falls … what is left safe from human greed?”

To frame the shocking series of events that unfolded in east Congo, von Einsiedel continued filming a group of lovable gorillas and their inspiring caretaker, Andre Bauma. Anyone watching the film can’t help but become fond for these gorillas and their relationship with Andre. In some shots, simply the gorilla’s facial expressions and body movement are potent reflections of a tenuous situation.  

“Virunga” captures the steadfast bravery of Andre and the Virunga National Park Rangers with powerful scenes of conflict, apprehension and courage. Dr. Emmanuel de Merode led this group of park rangers. In April of this year, after filming was finished, De Merode was shot several times by unknown gunmen. When asked about his experience he said, “The risks have always been with us. My experience is not uncommon. It’s what people do in Virunga.”

The film is finished, but the situation in the DRC is not over. Every member on the post-screening panel (Bauma, de Merod and von Einsledel) gave hints of optimism in regards to the gorillas, the park and the DRC, however they all mentioned that the turmoil is not gone for good. It’s a battle that they can’t fight on their own.

“Virunga” (NR, 90 min) will be released on Netflix on Nov. 7.