Men’s basketball falls at Temple in defensive struggle

The men’s basketball team fell just short in its opening game on Nov. 14 in Philadelphia, losing a defensive battle against Temple University, 40-37.

The Eagles struggled to gain momentum throughout the entire game, shooting 12-39 from the field and 3-23 from three point range. The Eagles scored a mere 11 points in the first half, going the final 8:47 of the half without scoring.

AU was also killed by the rebound. Temple outrebounded the Eagles 39-25, grabbing 17 offensive rebounds which led to 18 second-chance points.

Despite their weak start, the Eagles made a late game surge to pull within striking distance. Down 39-28, the Eagles used a quick 9-0 run to get within two points with 14 seconds left. After a Temple free throw, the Eagles had a chance to tie the game with a three pointer, but tough defense forced AU into a desperation heave that ultimately fell short.

The Eagles were led by senior guard John Schoof, who had 12 points with four rebounds. Fellow senior guard Darius “Pee Wee” Gardner added seven points with two rebounds, four assists and three steals.

In his first game as an Eagle filling in for Tony Wroblicky, senior Kevin Panzer was asked to fill some big shoes. Playing the entire game, Panzer had six points with eight rebounds, four assists and three blocks.

The Eagles lost their first game last season as well, and despite their successful 2013-2014 season, last year’s team started off 3-7 in conference play before going 13-5 in the Patriot League and winning the Patriot League Tournament. The Eagles have a similar schedule this season, with seven of their next 11 games on the road and two additional games at a neutral site.

The Eagles return home to face St. Francis University on Nov. 17 at 7:30 p.m. where the team will unveil their 2014 Patriot League Championship Banner.