Review: As You Like It

Shakespeare Theatre Company’s latest sends mixed messages but succeeds overall.

Set on a modern stage with quick-witted banter and occasional drama, Shakespeare Theatre Company’s “As You Like It” provides its audience with dramatic romance portrayed through laughter.

"As You Like It," directed by Michael Attenborough, tells the tale of a typical Shakespearean romantic comedy. The two main characters, Orlando (Andrew Veenstra) and Rosalind (Zoe Waities), meet and fall in love at first sight. There is sibling rivalry between a banished Duke and his younger brother that parallels the hostile relationship between Orlando and his brother.

Through a series of banishments and chance, all of the characters end up in the same place: the Forest of Arden. People fall in love with the wrong people, but all is resolved in the end. Hymen the god of marriage, appears and blesses several marriages, including Rosalind and Orlando's.

The play’s directing was exceptional, while the actors were engaging and convincing.  Characteristic Shakespearean comedic elements of romance, wit and a happily-ever-after ending made for an exciting evening.

The challenge to bringing classic plays such as this to modern theaters is tweaking aspects of the original so that it can remain contemporary and relevant on some level with the audience. This was evidently the intention in the stage design and costume decisions.

The set consisted of minimalist dark, wooden panels that vertically framed the sides of the stage, intending to symbolize the rigidity of the court. While the artistic vision here was apparent, the set was confusing and seemed out of place in execution. The portrayal of the forest, however, was creative in the use of painted silk curtains that were actively part of the set and engaged the audience’s imagination.

The costumes caused further confusion, as they did not derive from any singular era. In the beginning, Rosalind and her cousin, Cecilia, wore seemingly traditional Shakespearean dress with corsets and petticoats. The characters around them, however, donned trench coats and suspenders. The stage saw fedoras, denim overalls, plaid and tea dresses. Combined with the spoken Shakespearean wit, the setting and costumes seemed misplaced and erroneous.

Shakespeare Theatre Company is performing “As You Like It” at the Lansburgh Theatre until Dec. 7. If you’re a lover of performing arts, this play is well worth the “Young Prose” discount of $18 per ticket.

Grade: B+

The student discount showings are every Tuesday at 2 p.m. and are available in person at the box office or by phone number (202-547-1122).