Guide to the All-American Weekend Scene

Your parents are here for the weekend and after all the ups and downs of the semester, you’re probably really excited to see them again. But after the reunion hugs and kisses, you’re left with the question: what do I do with them for an entire weekend?

AU has a ton of events planned for the weekend, but the program can seem a little overwhelming. We’ve thinned it down for you with a list of some of the must-attend events happening on campus this weekend.

Friday, Oct. 17

Registration and Check-In

Okay, so maybe this one isn’t as much fun, but it’s necessary. If your parents have already registered for All-American weekend online, they can pick up their registration packet, name tags, pre-ordered tickets and a final schedule of events here.

When: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Where: Friedheim Quad in front of Mary Graydon Center; if it’s raining, it will be moved indoors to MGC Room 200

Exhibitions at the AU Museum

D.C. is known for its museums, but did you know that AU has its very own? If you haven’t visited, this is the perfect opportunity. If you have class, this is a great place to direct your parents to so they can stay busy during the day. The museum has five ongoing exhibitions

• READYMADE@100
  • Bridging the Past, Present and Future: Recent Works by Sandra Ramos
  • Memorial Modeling: Peter Belyi and Peter Shvetsove
  • Some Uses of Photography: Four Washington Artists

When: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: Katzen Arts Center

All-American Weekend Welcome Reception

To kick off AU’s weekend programming, the University arranged a welcome reception, which means one very important thing: free food. Stop by for refreshments and mingle with volunteers and staff from the Parents Leadership Council and the Office of Campus Life.

When: 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Where: MGC, University Club

AU Volleyball

Show off your school spirit and one of our top-performing sports teams by taking your parents to the AU volleyball game against Navy. The women’s volleyball team is on a 10-game winning streak and stands at the top of the Patriot League. Tickets are free for students and only $6 for adults and $4 for youth if your siblings are here as well. It’s the perfect place to introduce your home family to your AU family.

When: 7 p.m.
Where: Bender Arena

SASA Cultural Show

AU’s campus is full of diversity, and this event is a great example to show your parents. The South Asian Student’s Association is hosting its annual cultural show tonight and admission is free. Enjoy a night of singing, dancing and the best of South Asian culture performed on stage.

When: 9 p.m.
Where: MGC, Tavern

Saturday, Oct. 18

#Kerwinning

As a student, you might not have many opportunities to meet AU President Neil Kerwin, so use your parents as an excuse. Get to know him at his Presidential Welcome, where he’ll discuss his own life and his work here at the University. The event will be followed by receptions with each school’s respective deans, and locations can be found on the official program.

When: 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Where: Ward Circle, Room 1

All-American Fall Festival

Fall is the season for festivals, and this one is conveniently located right here on campus. The event will feature live music by The Knuckle Dusters, a bluegrass band and a German feast, with bratwurst, sauerbraten, potato pancakes, iced gingerbread and all sorts of other treats. Additionally, AU Greek Life will be presenting a step demonstration. Tickets are $16.50 per person and available online (hint: drop this to your parents and get them to buy the tickets for you).

When: noon to 1 p.m. and 1 to 2 p.m.
Where: Woods-Brown Amphitheater; if it’s raining, it will be moved inside to the first floor of MGC

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

The Department of Performing Arts is presenting a musical adaptation of the film by Pedro Almodovar, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. The show is a story about “women and the men who pursue them…Finding them, losing them, needing them, and rejecting them.” Tickets are $10 for AU students and seniors and $15 for others and can be purchased online, so be sure to plan ahead.

When: Shows are at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Where: Harold and Sylvia Greenberg Theatre

KPU Presents: Geena Davis

All-American weekend always means a prominent speaker presented by the Kennedy Political Union. This year, KPU is bringing Geena Davis to AU. Davis is an Academy Award and Golden Globe winning actress who has starred in movies such as “A League of Their Own,” “Thelma and Louise” and “Beetlejuice.” She’s also the founder of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, and she will be discussing her activism, work and life in what’s sure to be an engaging talk. Tickets are available online for free with your AU ID and $12 for others.

When: 8 p.m.
Where: Bender Arena

Sunday, Oct. 19

Brunch!

Now that you’ve been in D.C. for this long, you know how seriously we take our brunches. Introduce your parents to this tradition at not one but two brunches offered on campus this weekend. Terrace Dining Room will be serving a special meal this Sunday, and you can either use your meal plan or get your parents to treat you for $11 per person (cash only). If you’re looking for something different, try the Jazz Brunch offered by AU Dining Services. The menu will include eggs benedict, jalapeno cheddar grits, smoked chicken gumbo, creole-style potatoes, fried beignets and more. Tickets are $25 per person and must be purchased in advance online.

When: TDR – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Jazz – seatings at 10 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and noon
Where: TDR; Jazz – Mary Graydon Center, University Club

A Capella Showcase

What better way to round out the weekend then sitting back for a performance by AU’s a cappella singing groups? Dime a Dozen, On a Sensual Note, Pitches be Trippin’ and Treble in Paradise will all be performing and the show is for free. It’s the perfect event for the whole family to enjoy and bond over some good music.

When: 1:30 p.m.
Where: Kay Spiritual Life Center

As much as there is to do on campus, you might want to take them out into the city that’s become your second home. Plus, why not take advantage of them paying the bills? For more events going on around D.C., check out our weekend guide.