Fall a cappella season kicks off on a high note

AU’s four a cappella groups kicked off the fall season in Kay Spiritual Life Center last night, drawing a huge crowd with their melodic performances.

The crowd’s cheers circulated around Kay Spiritual Life Center as On A Sensual Note’s cover of The Killers’ “All These Things That I’ve Done” not only took the singers’ breaths away but the audience’s as well. Other performances were similarly crowd-pleasing.

As doors opened at 8:15 p.m., students flocked into Kay Spiritual Life Center and no seat was left empty in the crammed rotunda. The auditorium became a circular fire hazard, with hoards of students sitting on the ground and in the way of the exits.

Despite the small venue, many audience members made the best of the tight fit as they grew excited for the four featured vocal acts. Female groups Pitches Be Trippin’ and Treble In Paradise, men’s group On A Sensual Note and mixed gender group Dime A Dozen took the stage. Each group performed two or three songs.

4788_a_cappella_preview_4o.jpg

ZACH EWELL, THE EAGLE

As more students continued squeezing into the auditorium, Pitches Be Trippin’ started the show with an unique rendition of AWOLNATION’s popular song “Sail.” Other notable acts and a cappella covers included Dime A Dozen’s rendition of Katy Perry’s song “Dark Horse,” Treble in Paradise’s performance of Ariana Grande’s song “Honeymoon,” and On A Sensual Note’s cover of Bob Marley’s “Could You Be Loved.”

At the end of every song, each a cappella group was met with cheers from the crowd. However, the crowd’s cheers became the loudest when On A Sensual Note performed the concert’s last song, the Killers cover.

4785_a_cappella_preview_1o.jpg

ZACH EWELL, THE EAGLE

When the concert ended, the audience immediately burst into the quad sharing the excitement from the concert they had just attended.

zewell@theeagleonline.com