An auspicious start for indie rockers NO. at 9:30 Club

As LA-based indie rock band NO. took the stage on the first night of its U.S./Canadian tour in support of composer Yann Tiersen, the crowd was dismal at best. A few gathered at the foot of the stage, willing to wait the openers out in anticipation for Tiersen’s act. Others stood by the bar and pursued side conversations to pass the time.

By the time lead singer Bradley Carter reached the first chorus of the band’s opening song, “Another Life”, off of the recently released debut album, “El Prado,” the background hum died down. Instead, attentive listeners headed towards the stage as Carter, whose deep, melodic voice could double for Matt Berninger of The National, lamented about lost love.

NO.’s beachy guitars are a nod to its hometown though even their happiest song never leans towards surf-pop fluffiness. Instead, NO.’s songs opt for heavier subject matter than most beach music— desperate pleas to leaving lovers (“Stay With Me”, “Leave the Door Wide Open”) and hesitation to start new relationships (“There’s a Glow”).

Carter carried NO. with his eyes closed, leaning and reaching into the crowd as if the subject of his songs is somewhere in the darkness. Each band member was equally absorbed in the music they were making, particularly bassist Sean Stentz, who had a third of the stage to himself. Throughout many songs, each band member echoed the chorus, creating haunting harmonies that floated on top of increasingly passionate music.

As NO.’s set progressed at the 9:30 Club, the applause in between each song grew louder, culminating with the crowd singing along to “Hold On” as Carter recorded the moment on an old-fashioned video camera as he performed. As the band left the stage to cheers, it was soon reunited with the crowd, getting to know each new fan who approached them as they stood at the merch table between its set and Tiersen’s.

As experimental, ambient composer and headliner Tiersen took the stage, many were confused as to why they had chosen NO. to tour with him and his band. Despite having different musical styles, Tiersen’s fans still exhibited a respectful appreciation for his openers, and NO. left the 9:30 Club having enhanced the crowd’s experience.

“El Prado” is available for streaming on Spotify.

tsackman@theeagleonline.com