Thursday, May 16, 2024

Iggy Azalea excites teens at Silver Spring’s Fillmore

A crowd of mostly adolescent and pre-teen Iggy Azalea fans shoved and swayed on the dance floor at the Fillmore Silver Spring at the up-and-coming artist’s May 2 show.

Sponsored by Monster Energy and Idol Roc Entertainment, the District stop gave fans high energy and trap-influenced pop. The show was a part of the rising star’s The New Classic tour.

The Fillmore’s was packed with significantly underdressed American Apparel-clad teens dancing to popular hits and belting out lyrics to familiar songs like“Turn Down for What” and “Get Low” before Azalea took the stage. Energy was high and the crowd was ready for Azalea to take her place on the well-crafted Miami Vice-esque stage.

In-between the and Azalea’s appearance, fans started several half-hearted chanting rounds of “Iggy, Iggy” during the wait. After lighting was properly set and an emcee announced Azalea’s imminent start to the show, the crowd exploded with phones in the air ready to capture her first appearance on stage. When Azalea came out in full glory, she started the show with “My World” from her 2012 EP “Ignorant Art” and “[F***] Love” from her latest album “The New Classic.”

Per her aesthetic, Azalea started the show with an evident trap influence mixed with rap and pop as she beckoned fans to “drop that sh*t” while performing the track of the same name from “Ignorant Art.” Throughout the show, Azalea tried to maintain the bombastic energy the show started with but seemed tired, frequently rotating between standing and sitting during the second half of the show. Despite her tired demeanor, Azalea flashed a genuine smile as teenyboppers chanted the chorus to her song “Pu$$y.”

During the last half of her show, Azalea played popular tracks “Fancy” and “Popular,” which have put her on the map as an up and coming hip-hop artist. She successfully finished out the set with, arguably, her most familiar song “Work” to a highly enthused crowd.

jsmith@theeagleonline.com