Best of D.C.: Concert venues

On Stands Now

D.C.’s music scene is filled with many unique venues that attract a diverse spectrum of artists. In addition to the amount of musical artists that the city attracts, D.C. also covers many genres, going from the latest hip hop and rap music to up-and-coming garage and indie rock artists. Here is a list of five venues that can cover a large spectrum of genres for any music fan. This list is based off of the experiences and the quality of the concerts that were put on in each venue.

1. 9:30 Club

815 V St NW, Washington, DC

Looking like an old run-down ‘70s bowling alley, the 9:30 club is located right at the heart of Washington D.C. U Street Corridor. While the outside has the power to frighten some away with its ugly yellow brick décor, the inside area looks like the main deck of a Carnival Cruise ship, with the stage at the center of attention. This venue is fairly priced and brings a very personal environment from the performer to the viewer. Such past performers include St. Vincent, Cold War Kids and Radiohead.

2.Echostage

2135 Queens Chapel Rd NE, Washington, DC

Over a series of bridges and through the east side of D.C.’s warehouse district sits Echostage. Although a bit of a hike from the Rhode Island metro stop, the Echostage is where D.C.’s rave scene comes to life every other Saturday night. In addition to rave events, the Echostage attracts many big name artists to perform at its space like Lorde and M.I.A.

3. Howard Theatre

620 T St NW, Washington, DC

Looking like an upscale version of the San Antonio’s Alamo fort, the Howard Theatre is located only a couple of blocks from the 9:30 Club and the Shaw Metro Station. Specializing in blues, rap, R&B, jazz and soul, the Howard Theatre gives off the look of a swanky uptown venue both inside and out. In addition to the lawless aroma that many bring to Howard Theatre, it is also the perfect spot for many free willing concert activities like crowd surfing and mashing, something that many music venues outlaw today. Past performers include Danny Brown and Juicy J.

4. Rock & Roll Hotel

1353 H Street N.E, Washington, DC

Just a little over a mile east from Union Station, down H Street, sits the Rock & Roll Hotel. While the Rock & Roll Hotel probably strikes some as a small hole in the wall, the venue’s bite is almost bigger than its loud music bark. With past performers including FIDLAR and Sir Sly, Rock & Roll Hotel is a perfect place to see small up-and-coming bands for a decent price.

5. Black Cat

1811 14th St NW, Washington, DC

Part music venue and part nerdy bar, the Black Cat brings a wide range of artists to its stage. On top of its Friday Doctor Who Happy Hours, the Black Cat brings many big-name performers like the Black Lips and Tokyo Police Club. However, with great power comes great responsibility for this venue, as some may find its alcohol and other venue policies a little strict.

zewell@theeagleonline.com