Grouplove delivers pure, raw electricity to 9:30 Club

With its energetic instrumentation and gritty vocals, Los Angeles-based indie pop band Grouplove electrified the crowd at 9:30 Club on March 31 for the second show of three at the venue.

The band stopped by the District on its spring tour and sold out three consecutive shows at 9:30 Club, signifying its enormous fan base and overall popularity in the D.C. area.

While confidently sporting cornrow braids, lead singer Christian Zucconi energized the steady crowd with his intoxicatingly scratchy vocals. He and his fellow band members preserved the energy in the room with such eccentric and amusing rhythmic moves that they left the audience no choice but to break out in dance as well.

Grouplove kicked off the night by eliciting distinctive “ahhs” and “oohs” from the crowd with the addictive song “I’m With You,” followed by the unmistakably bubbly and upbeat hits “Itchin’ On a Photograph,” “School Boy” and “Lovely Cup.” The band’s dubstep-esque bass and crackles underscored Zucconi’s intense but airy pitch.

The crowd consisted of concertgoers from all ages and backgrounds, from hardcore fans who knew every nuance in each line to simple music lovers who were looking for a lively weekday evening. Despite a mixed audience, Grouplove’s flawless and sweet tunes managed to further amp up the spirit in a hazy venue.

Zucconi’s abrasive yet alluring voice combined with keyboardist Hannah Hooper’s angelic tone produced an unexpected harmony that enraptured the entire room. The band also played fan-favorites “Shark Attack” and “Tongue Tied,” inducing an almost lasting state of euphoria among listeners. Midway through the set, Zucconi and Hooper surprised the crowd with an unforgettable rendition of Beyonce’s “Drunk In Love.” The cheering and chanting of delighted fans testified to the power of the duo’s haunting vocals.

As the room buzzed with anticipation and the crowd demanded an encore after the hour set, Grouplove happily returned to the stage and ended the night with “Colours,” one of the most popular songs off its debut album, “Never Trust a Happy Song.” Grinning ear-to-ear, fans collectively shook the ground as they jumped to the percussive and animated rhythm.

The songs’ effervescent and electro-pop melodies are unique to the group, a testament to its commercial success. Grouplove’s vivacity and infectious energy in its live performances make them equally exciting to watch for both a dedicated fan and a curious new listener.