U Street Music Hall celebrates anniversary in typically trendy fashion

U Street Music Hall celebrated its fourth anniversary from March 17-24 by doing what the small venue does best: continuing to host its best attended events and sprinkling in even more crowd-pleasing acts.

With its unassuming entrance on U Street, the basement club offers much more than it may appear to at first glance. The small venue — its capacity is 500, according to the venue’s website — has received numerous accolades, including being named one of the top 10 best dance clubs by Rolling Stone Magazine in 2013.

The week included Moombahton Massive XXXV, the monthly showcase of a genre of music whose roots are planted in D.C., and the club debut of Norwegian DJ & turntablist Cashmere Cat. The week will be finished off on March 24 with an appearance by club regulars Classixx, a Los Angeles-based DJ duo who have famously mixed for Phoenix and Holy Ghost.

When U Street Music Hall’s anniversary week show list was first released, it did not include one major act. The young British singer Sam Smith — best known for his vocals in Disclosure’s hit “Latch” — played the venue on March 20 as the first show of his U.S. tour. This sold-out show, included along with the several other well-loved acts U Street Music Hall brought for its anniversary week, is typical to the venue’s mission to showcase new, exciting and well-liked artists. And because of its booking collaboration with the long-established club 9:30, U Street Music Hall will likely provide intriguing music for low prices for years to come.

jmorice@theeagleonline.com