Q&A: Miniature Tigers

Miniature Tigers is a Brooklyn-based indie dream-pop band that has been successfully cranking out a quality album/EP every two years since 2006. Their dark but humorous lyrics combine with poppy beats to create a creative irony not found anywhere else on the pop charts these days. The Eagle’s Tam Sackman spoke with frontman Charlie Brand about their latest album, touring and their new sound.

Eagle: Your new album “Cruel Runnings” is set to come out in May. What can listeners expect from this album? How is it different than your other albums?
Charlie Brand: I think it’s our most focused album so far. It’s very personal. In the past we’ve played around with different genres and try to test our audience a bit. This time around we wanted to make something that was both satisfying to us and exciting for the listener.

E: You begin your tour Feb. 28. What stops are you most excited for?
CB: Not to blow smoke but I’m really excited for the D.C. show! We always have wild shows there. I’m also excited to come back to California. I miss the West Coast.

E: You’ve opened for huge names like They Might Be Giants, Fun., and Ben Folds. What have you learned from your experiences with them?
CB: Giants and Ben Folds weren’t very personal so [we] didn’t learn shit from them. Fun. on the other hand took us all over the U.S. and Europe. They are so dedicated to their craft and watching them perform every night was very inspiring.

E: Who are your greatest musical influences?
CB: The Beatles obviously are huge and always present. My influences are always changing though. Right now I’m writing new music that’s inspired equally by Beyoncé and Joni Mitchell.

E: Your lyrics often have a dark irony underlying them despite upbeat music. Where do you draw inspiration from in songwriting?
CB: I’m always trying to write from as true of a place as possible. Life isn’t black and white for me. I can find humor in dark times as well as the complete opposite.

E: How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard of you before?
CB: I have such a hard time with that. I’ve given up even trying. To me it’s pop music but I think a lot of people have a misunderstanding of that word.

E: You’re going to be at South by Southwest this year. Do you prefer a festival setting like that or a smaller more intimate venue?
CB: Big shows are exciting but there’s something undeniable about the energy from playing a small club. I love playing festivals but they are kind of exhausting to me. I’m a shithead like that.

ME: Why did you choose “Swimming Pool Blues” to be the single off of “Cruel Runnings”?
CB: That was the first song I wrote for Cruel Runnings and has a special meaning for me. I think it represents the vibe of our new record and fans of our earlier stuff could dig it too.

E: Who would your ideal tour be with?
CB: I would love to tour with someone at the top of their game like Kanye or Beyoncé. With our luck we’ll end up touring with Justin Bieber.

Catch Charlie and the rest of Miniature Tigers, along with Bear Hands at DC9 on March 4. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 day of the show.