Classixx closes out U Street Music Hall's anniversary week

Classixx, Tourist and Brian Billion put on an unforgettable show for the final night of U Street Music Hall’s fourth anniversary week on March 24.

Before Classixx took the stage, UK DJ Tourist played his remixes for a crowd below glowing red paper lanterns, creating a relaxed house vibe.

After Tourist’s calm performance, the crowd was nowhere near prepared for the electric dance party that would follow once Classixx appeared onstage. Classixx – the stage name for magnetic duo Michael David and Tyler Blake – is an L.A. based group, bringing that vivacious California beach scene vibe with them. Once Classixx took to the stage, U Hall started to overflow with people.

Classixx released their successful debut LP “Hanging Gardens” in 2013 with Kitsuné: a French electronic music label and clothing store known for their off the wall, alternative artists. Some of Kitsuné’s notable artists include Fred Falke, Bloc Party, Phoenix and Two Door Cinema Club. Despite the Internet age and rapid sharing of music, the band has managed to remain prominent in the electronic music scene, and this is evident in every track you listen to on “Hanging Gardens.”

A large vintage-style television was placed onto the stage; lights faded from red to black and the tiny image of Classixx’s iconic running men slowly came into focus, growing larger and larger. Classixx surreptitiously walked into view and began to play the chiming notes of their first hit “Hanging Gardens,” sampled from Fleetwood Mac’s “Seven Wonders.” Everyone was transported into an Atari game as they were enveloped by the ‘80s style graphics on screen.

Concert-goers were awestruck as the television images became increasingly psychedelic as the two started to play the groovy sounds of “Supernature.” Attendees were now part of a surreal, funk dance party. While Blake danced and played the keyboard, David showed his moves and changed from guitar to bass, singing “Do you, do you like bass?” into the mic.

What made Classixx the best show of this season so far was the fact that both Blake and David had so much fun themselves – they were all smiles and often showed off their awkward and gawky dance moves. The band also performed their popular hits, “All You’re Waiting For,” “Stranger Love,” “Jozi’s Fire” and “Borderline.”

For their encore, the crowd lost control when the duo played their first popular remix of YACHT’s ““Psychic City.”:https://soundcloud.com/classixx/psychic-city-classixx-remix” Sounds melted into technicolor visuals and Classixx closed their euphoric set with a crowd still wanting more.

You can listen to “Hanging Gardens” on Spotify, as well as on Soundcloud where you can also listen to all their exclusive remixes. Listen to Tourist on Soundcloud as well.

scene@theeagleonline.com