Bombay Bicycle Club’s eclectic and fun new album shows maturity

British indie rock quartet Bombay Bicycle Club (BBC) released their fourth studio album, “So Long, See You Tomorrow” on Feb. 3.

BBC’s latest album is its first in four years and takes a decidedly different tone compared to their previous efforts.

“So Long, See You Tomorrow” errs more on the eclectic side with hard-to-pin-down songs that range between island-vibe track “Feel” to semi-funky “Come To.” Transitioning from these different influences doesn’t prevent the songs from losing their value.

The first track “Overdone,” has a rhythmic, downbeat tone that is balanced with backing vocalist Lucy Rose’s breathy odes throughout and frontman Jack Steadman’s crackling voice. The album starts upbeat and catchy with contemplative and yearning lyrics that represent BBC’s maturity.

“It’s Alright Now” continues the habit repeated throughout the album where Steadman’s expertly shaky voice murmurs and is replaced by the same lustful, wispy and yearning chorus by Rose. Rose is arguably more prominent on “So Long, See You Tomorrow” with stand-alone lyrics in “Home By Now.”

Bombay Bicycle Club usually places a piano-centric song in the middle of their albums and “So Long, See You Tomorrow” follows suit with “Eyes Off You.” Steadman’s voice is in the spotlight and adds a somber and wistful tone for the rest of the album.

The problem with the placement of “Eyes Off You” on the album is that “Feel” comes right after. It’s out of place and hard to relate to with its tropical vibe, despite Steadman’s intriguing voice. It throws the album off balance.

The strongest cuts on the album are “Carry Me” and the title track “So Long, See You Tomorrow.” “Carry Me” is haunting with deep, bombastic drums that break over Steadman’s crooning and ethereal vocals. All instruments are thrown into “Carry Me” and it ends up being the best of the album. “So Long, See You Tomorrow” ends with its title track, which plays like a sleepy long distance relationship love letter with hums until the drums and guitars pick up halfway and BBC’s habit of mixing somber and upbeat tones complete the album.

With all of its experimenting, Bombay Bicycle Club doesn’t try hard with “So Long, See You Tomorrow.” BBC is maturing and this album reflects that in the best way.

jsmith@theeagleonline.com