Q&A: S.E. Cupp

The Eagle sat down with Cupp to discuss her opinions on current world issues and hear her advice for college conservatives.

The Eagle: At a liberal college like AU, is there any advice you have for conservative students who want to be more involved in politics?
S.E. Cupp: You know it’s tough at a liberal college, but believe it or not that is where I really sharpened my conservativism because it is when you are faced with objection from all different kinds of areas: faculty, the administration, your friends. I mean, that’s when you really learn how courageous you want to be.
I was really challenged in a productive way at my liberal university and then later in my liberal city, in my liberal job, with my liberal friends and in a liberal industry. I was challenged by that to sharpen my conservativism and really figure out where I stood on all of the issues. So as you are suppose to do in college, I hope that young women and men interested in sort of exploring conservativism, I hope they ask a lot of questions, do a lot of research. Reach out to people in the industry especially when you are in Washington, D.C. You have tremendous access that people don’t have that I didn’t have to political discussion, to political networking. To me it seems an ideal place to really get your feet wet and explore politics. You know it doesn’t happen overnight. It should be on going. It is certainly on going for me.

E: Do you think that being a female conservative has helped you in journalism? Has given you an edge?
Cupp: I don’t know if it’s helped. There are a lot of us. I mean if you look at Fox News there are a lot of conservative women on television. I think that maybe we make for good TV. But you know I’ve had to work real hard, and the men I know in this business have had to work equally hard. There are obstacles in this profession on both sides. I mean it’s just a very competitive industry. Wherever I’ve been helped someone’s been helped on the other side, and when it’s been tough, it’s been tough for other people too. You just learn what works, and you figure out how to get ahead.

E: So what do you think about concerns of America’s interventionism? How would you address that?
Cupp: Well the concerns are funny because I remember calls for Bush’s impeachment over interventionism. But President Obama sent us illegally into Libya. President Obama put boots on the ground in Uganda. President Obama sends drones to countries we are not at war with. Interventionism has changed definitions since Obama has come into office, and the same people who were calling for Bush’s impeachment are completely silent. Where is Code Pink? Where is Moveon.org? Where are these groups that were so vocal during the Bush’s administration? They are gone. They are invisible. I think that is really hypocritical and intellectually dishonest; does a lot to discredit the isolationist movement. There is a legitimate argument for isolationism, but it has to be equally applied, and it hasn’t been.