Students mill about the Kogod courtyard chatting and eating food.

Founders’ Day Ball impresses, but music out-of-touch

As students walked into, gazed at and took pictures of the spacious and purple-lit Kogod Courtyard, the hours spent lining up for Founders’ Day Ball tickets seemed worth it.

However, that sentiment dissipated soon after President Neil Kerwin finished his speech and the music began to play.

What began as a lovely evening at the Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture on Feb. 23 was spoiled by music that was out-of-touch to students.

Hosting the event at the National Portrait Gallery proved to be an engaging experience for the attendees. Many students proceeded past the courtyard into the upper floors of the Gallery, milling about the collections and taking pictures with some of their favorite pieces.

The food kept attendees satisfied throughout the evening with popular offerings such as savory vegetable-mushroom wraps and mini crab cakes. Attendees could choose from a variety of options without worry the food would be gone upon return.

The service staff were efficient and polite. If any plate was quickly devoured, the staff would just as quickly replace the dish. Spilled drinks were addressed promptly. If a person left his or her empty cup or plate, it would soon disappear and find itself on the tray of a passing attendant.

By the time students were ushered back into the Kogod Courtyard, which was then stocked with assorted desserts including doughnut holes and delectable mini cupcakes, half the night had already passed and gone over well. The event planners took to the stage to thank the people who made the evening possible and Kerwin made his remarks about the founding of AU.

As Kerwin left the stage, the DJs took their turn with their unfamiliar first song that audibly repeated the line, “I take my girl from the back.”

The rest of the evening’s music selections hardly strayed from the precedent set by the first song. A few choices received eager roars and dancing from the crowd–including Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s “Drunk in Love” and V.I.C’s “Wobble Baby,” but the rest of the song selection was not danceable, especially with a group of friends.

Most songs were obscure and unknown. As the DJs increased the anticipation for a beat to drop, the new song disappointed almost every time. Several songs were a variation of dubstep without few popular songs that were known to the students trying to dance.

Other notable particulars of the event include the diligence of the AU Student Government officials involved with making sure the night went as planned. From filling buses to admitting students into the dance, their visible efforts made the evening flow smoothly for the attendees.

In spite of all the Gallery had to offer, the event also wound up being short on time. Though it officially lasted three hours, many students arrived late or left early due to the timing of the buses.

Nonetheless, Founders’ Day Ball was an enjoyable event for all. The music may have decreased the night’s enjoyment, but, as evidenced by the mob of students in the Kogod courtyard, a group of people can dance to any song if they try hard enough.

kavancena@theeagleonline.com