AU bloggers explore DC culture beyond the brochures

Through a blog, four sophomores have conducted their own study to investigate and explore what the D.C. scene has to offer in regards to local food, music and culture.

The project began with AU’s RCC, a residential community cluster housing group that creates a community service project. Sophomores Patric Gallipoli in the School of Public Affairs, Nick Looney in the College of Arts and Sciences, Nishant Shrikhande in the School of Communication and Caleb Yee in SPA began writing the blog last November to spread awareness of D.C.’s food and music options.

“D.C. has a unique culture – there are a lot of people who know the popular things like the memorials and monuments, but there is also a lot of inside culture that tends to be overlooked, especially with local businesses,” Yee said.

The group has covered locations such as Martin’s Tavern, 9:30 Club and even the food truck fair Truckeroo at Navy Yard. By voicing their group’s thoughts and opinions on their experience, the blog describes each spot with realistic clarity.

The post depicting their visit to Ben’s Chili Bowl in the historic U Street Corridor notes, “It is the revitalization of neighborhoods that helps bring people from all walks of life together.”

During their investigation, the blog creators were also surprised to learn how much diversity the D.C. music scene has. Whether it is go-go music, a D.C. speciality, or small independent artists, the capital houses a fanbase for it.

The group wants readers to understand the historical and sociological impact of these locations in D.C. and why they help build D.C. culture. The restaurant Busboys and Poets exemplifies the intersection of food and sociology, combining the entertainment of soulful poetry and jazz with the comfort of food and coffee in a relaxing setting.

“I want them to hear things they would have never thought about doing in D.C.” Shrikhande said.

The blog also allows its writers to explore D.C. and understand the driving forces behind the city’s culture, beyond the travel brochures.

“It made us realize that there is so much more beyond the memorials and museums – there is a huge, driving local culture, both in food and music,” Yee said. “It just made us feel more at home to know that here in D.C., we’re part of something greater than just the tourist location.”

scene@theeagleonline.com