The Scene’s weekend guide

It’s going to be a busy three-day weekend in our nation’s capital. Take advantage of your day off with The Scene’s guide to all the events worth checking out.

1. Bao Bao at the National Zoo
Pandas exude such an eminently fuzzy and lovable attitude that it’s sickening but adorable. Experience this oscillating emotional set by seeing the debut of D.C.’s newest panda cub Bao Bao.
Location: 3001 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, D.C. 20008
Price: free

2. Portrait Story Days: Martin Luther King, Jr. at the National Portrait Gallery
Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy was immortalized by a series of artist whose paintings will go on display this weekend, tracing King’s past and his projected future had he lived. This new exhibit offers an opportunity to reflect on the long-term impact of the civil rights movement.
Location: 8th and F Sts NW, Washington, DC 20001
Price: free

3. Todd Glass at the D.C. Improv
Comedian Todd Glass frequently says people compare him to John Goodman or if Fred Flintstone and Mel Gibson had a baby. Either way, he’s bringing his act seen on “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” “Chelsea Lately” and “Kathy” to the D.C. Improv this weekend.
Location: 1140 Connecticut Ave. N.W., D.C. 20036
Price: Tickets subject to availability

4. Art Soiree’s 4th Annual Political Cartoon Exhibit at The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown
Democratic and Republican politicos rejoice for a retrospective of political cartooning through the ages, on display at the Ritz-Carlton Georgetown. Kevin Kallaugher, editorial cartoonist for The Economist and The Baltimore Sun, is featured in a gallery and as an attendee. He will be live cartooning throughout the night.
Location: 3100 South Street NW, Washington, DC 20007
Price: Tickets $10 at eventbrite through Jan. 18

5. Talib Kweli
Talib Kweli is one of the hardest working rappers that hasn’t quite taken his place yet on the national stage despite his complex lyrical flows and deep, sometimes political themes. But he will be in the nation’s capital, joined by Stereo Faith and Sharkey for an exciting night of excellent lyricism and hip-hop.
Location:“The Lodge at Red Rocks Neapolitan Bistro”:http://www.redrocksdc.com/ at1348 H Street NE Washington DC 20002
Price: Free admission, but seating is first come, first served.

6. “Let Freedom Ring” Concert with the National Symphony Orchestra
What better way to celebrate the Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend than spending a night with one of the towering figures in American music. Dionne Warwick joins the Let Freedom Ring Choir for the annual celebration of Dr. King’s achievements at the Millennium Stage.
Location: 2700 F Street, NW, Washington DC 20566
Price: Tickets are free and available at the door.

7. “The Tallest Tree in the Forest” at the Arena Stage
Written and performed by actor, musician and poet Daniel Beaty, the one-man show “The Tallest Tree in the Forest” tells the story of Paul Robeson, the African-American singer who became an iconic activist in the civil rights movement.
Location: Arena Stage at 1101 Sixth St. SW; Washington DC 20024 through Feb. 16,
Price: $40 -$120

8. “50 Shades! The Musical!” at the Warner Theatre
A rancorous skewering comic musical about housewives caught up in Christian Grey fever, “50 Shades! The Musical!” lampoons American obsession with E.L. James’ best-selling erotic novel “Fifty Shades of Grey.”
Location: At the Warner Theatre, 513 13th St. NW, Washington DC 20004 through Jan. 18.
Price: Tickets $32.50-$52.50.