Movie Review: Last Vegas

Grade: B

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. That apparently applies to all ages as “Last Vegas” stars big screen veterans Morgan Freeman (“The Bucket List”), Robert De Niro (“The Family”), Michael Douglas (“Behind the Candelabra”) and Kevin Kline (“No Strings Attached”).

The movie follows the lifetime friendship of four boys from Brooklyn who wake up one day and realize that life is becoming shorter everyday. Though they led separate lives and have been scattered across the country, the four now much older men are brought together by a wedding in Vegas and, you guessed it, a wild last hurrah for the bachelor.

Although the movie had potential to be a shadow of “The Hangover,” it took a more subdued and less raunchy route that still elicited hysterical laughter. In “Last Vegas,” Freeman is a stroke survivor who is babied by his son. De Niro is a resentful widower who refuses to leave his apartment. He also has a grudge against Douglas’s character, who sports a fake tan and a fiancé half his age. Kline provides much comic relief between tense interactions especially since his wife sends him to Las Vegas with a condom and one Viagra pill.

Once in Vegas, these four friends rediscover the fun that was missing from their lives for years while each overcomes an obstacle or fear that one is confronted with at such an age.

Though the storyline is not unique nor is it particularly memorable besides the big-name actors casted, “Last Vegas” is a movie of classic humor that is guaranteed to make one laugh.