AMF_6986 (70 of 376).NEF

Movie Review: Dallas Buyers Club

Grade: A

Jean Marc-Vallee’s seventh feature film “Dallas Buyers Club” brings the director of small films such as “The Young Victoria” and “C.R.A.Z.Y.” into this year’s Oscar buzz.

Vallee’s film focuses on coke-addled, homophobic electrician and rodeo scammer Ron Woodruff (Matthew Mcconaughey, “Mud”) who relishes hedonism and the fast-paced lifestyle. However, his life comes to a halt after he learns he contracted HIV.

Set in the ‘80s, the stereotypes of HIV and AIDS were still prevalent. After telling one of his pals that he might have the virus, he is shunned by his friends, evicted from his home and shut out from his job.

After taking the only Food and Drug Administration approved drug at the time, AZT, Woodruff realizes how dangerous it is and works with a Mexican “doctor” to bring alternative and non-FDA approved medicine to the states. Buyers’ clubs are established where those who need drugs can pay a $400 monthly prescription.

Creating the Dallas Buyers Club leads to Woodruff changing his perspectives about the LGBTQ community. He builds friendships with the most unlikely of characters including a transvestite named Rayon (Jared Leto, “Requiem for a Dream”). Woodruff and Rayon become enemies of the FDA and help the HIV and AIDS survivors in Dallas with the help of Eve (Jennifer Garner, “Butter”), the reluctant doctor who barely falls for Woodruff.

Vallee’s direction is realistic with the shots of Leto and McConaughey’s dramatic weight loss. He does a great job of capturing the perspective of the character from the inside out. “Dallas Buyers Club” has received a 94 percent rating from Rotten Tomatoes and generated Oscar buzz since its Nov. 1 debut. McConaughey’s performance is far from the romantic comedy roles he is best known for and shines more on his acting chops than anything else.

It seems that this will be a trend for McConaughey as he switches acting gears. Leto’s performance is as heart-wrenching and strong as his previous work and may result in an Oscar nod for Best Supporting Actor.

The only lacking performance comes from Garner, who plays her typical role of an eyelash-batting and seemingly uncomfortable do-gooder. This is where some of the scenes fall flat and are carried instead by strong performances from Leto or McConaughey.

Despite this lacking performance, “Dallas Buyers Club” is an Oscar-worthy film and a notable feature film from Vallee.

jsmith@theeagleonline.com