Five beers to try at DC’s new brewery

The best new addition to the District’s nightlife scene is where you would least expect it: hidden on a small side street of southwest D.C.

Nestled between large-scale construction sites, Bluejacket Brewery is introducing a young, trendy crowd to a laundry list of new brews on the shores of the Navy Yard.

Since its opening on Oct. 29, the once-upon-a-time ship boiler factory turned brew Mecca has replaced the usual neighborhood beeps of moving machinery with the clicks of heels against the barren sidewalks.

Within the months leading up to its opening, owner Greg Engert paired with local chefs, brewers and farmers to produce an all-star line up of original ales. Visitors have the choice to order either a $2-3, 4 oz. sample or a $6-8 dollar pint for those who are confident with their choice.

The long draft menu is drowned in pinky-raising beer talk like “quaffable,” “effervescent” and “aromatics” that can leave newcomers overwhelmed. To take out the difficulty of deciphering these beer-isms, the Scene filled its glass with hops and malts to serve up five brews to try on your first visit to ensure that it won’t be your last.

1. James and the Giant: Belgian Strong Blond Ale
With accents of Pennsylvania farm-grown peaches, James and the Giant is a must-have from Bluejacket. This rich Belgian ale has notes of spice that cut through the usual wheat taste of normal blond beers. The peachy kick leaves a slightly fruity aftertaste that won’t scare away dark-beer lovers, and will leave those more accustomed to light beers gulping for more. But watch what you drink. It may not taste like it, but James and the Giant is the strongest ale on Bluejacket’s list, topping the scale at 9 percent alcohol by volume (ABV).

2. The Imposter: Session Indian Pale Ale
Despite its name, there is nothing misleading about this beer. Giving D.C. Brau’s Corruption IPA a serious run for its money, The Imposter is a beverage made in hop-heaven. With it’s bold taste, anyone who loves themselves a bitter beer is sure to find a local favorite in this IPA. Out of the three IPA’s offered, The Imposter is a sure pick over like-tasting options like The Duel and Tooth and Nail. This beer is a full flavored selection, but isn’t too overwhelming to order pint-sized (in fact, we suggest you do).

3. Forbidden Planet: Dry Hopped Kolsch
Those scared away by the term “hops,” will be pleasantly surprised to find that the Forbidden Planet is not a bitter beer at all. In fact, the Kolsch is a light, fruity and fragrant option for those who prefer a breezier brew to a more robust taste. That does not mean it is not packed with flavor. The Forbidden Planet features hints of passion fruit, peach and mango that may almost make you forget you’re drinking a beer.

4. Cut and Dry: Bohemian Pilsner
Bluejacket’s Cut and Dry is the perfect pilsner. Without falling into the category of a more watered-down taste, Cut and Dry offers no funny business. There are no fruity tones or noticeable hops. There is nothing for this beer to hide behind. Instead, this beer showcases the stereotypical pilsner, while still maintaining a unique taste. It delivers a simple, crisp taste that you expect from a pilsner, but don’t exactly receive from most options out there.

5. Figure 8: Scotch Ale
After collaborating with Neighborhood Restaurant Group Pastry Chef Tiffany MacIsaac, Bluejacket produced its most interesting beer on the menu: Figure 8. Based on MacIsaac’s figgy toffee pudding, this ale is made from malts, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and 30 pounds of local figs. Without question, a taste like the Figure 8’s is something that you cannot find anywhere else in town. But be warned before you try, this full flavored brew is something to leave for the end of your tasting and, for most, would be overwhelming served in anything more than a 4 oz. taster.

Bluejacket is located at 300 Tingey Street, SE and is open daily from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m.

kbreitman@theeagleonline.com