Friday, June 21, 2024

Danny Brown pops by the Howard Theatre

The crowd popped up and down on the dance floor of Howard Theatre on Nov. 24 as Danny Brown, one of hip-hop’s newest faces, brought on a brief but exhilarating performance.

Both openers Phil Ade and DJ Kidd Marvel performed before Danny Brown, but neither got the crowd moving as much as the main act.

Brown sang such trademark songs as “Smokin & Drinkin” and “Kush Coma.” His voice projected throughout Howard Theater, and the bass took the crowd by surprise when it rattled through the floor and shivered up every audience member’s spine.

While Brown moved all over the stage, his lyrics energized the crowd as he turned the dance floor into a microwave and his audience into popping kernels. While moving through the crowd, it was impossible to stay clear from the elbow and headbutt jabbing.

Brown gave a performance that was well directed toward his audience as members of the crowd jumped up on stage to dance along to their favorite songs. While the venue provided a professional and prestigious feel to the crowds surroundings, it also gave consent to many exciting crowd rudiments such as crowd surfing, moshing and intoxication.

Though his show ended early for a school night, Brown brought about a rough and noisy look to the D.C. music scene that is at times hard to find.

As the semester comes to an end and one of the founding members leaves American University, Section 202 has decided to take a trip down memory lane. For our fans, old and new, who are wondering how Section 202 came to be, this episode is a must. Listen along as hosts Connor Sturniolo and Liah Argiropoulos reminisce about the beginning of Section 202 and how it got to where it is now.