A sneak peek at tonight’s ‘The Hyper Network’

Students will get the chance to talk with industry professionals about social media networking both on and offline tonight at the “The Hyper Network.”

The event will feature a panel of five professionals who will discuss the shifting paradigm of social media interactions and the new ways in which college students can network today.

“‘The Hyper Network’ is all about the fact that networking is changing,” said Andre Sanchez-Montoya, president of the AU Social Media Club and senior in the School of International Service. “That as our current forms of communication, whether it’s mobile, digital, or social- continue to evolve so do our interactions, both personally and professionally.”

AU’s Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) and Social Media Club (SMC) created the event to inform students about the expanding work of digital marketing and communication sphere.

“You now have to be able to craft messages across platforms and market your clients and your own brand offline and online,” said Kelsey Balimtas, PRSSA president and School of Communication senior. “I think we, as college students, have spent our recent memory exposed to this continuing convergence of worlds, but it’s important that they understand how to maximize impact.”

Balimtas and Sanchez-Montoya found the panelists through their connections in the communication field, choosing each person for their digital talent.

“Living in DC, AU students have an advantage with have easy access to so many professionals that are more than willing to help them with their professional development,” said Chloe Troia, an AU alumnae and panelist who now works as the community manager for MXM Social.

Other panelists include:
● Eric Hilton, assistant managing editor of Elite DC magazine
● Anthony LaFauce, director of digital strategy for Spectrum
● Ryan Thorton, account coordinator for online strategy at Ketchum
● Melissa Steffan, assistant editor for 1776.

SOC professor Scott Talan will moderate the discussion.

Sanchez-Montoya said he believes it is important to have collaborations between students and professionals to foster relationships.

“I’d say that The Hyper Network is letting professionals know that they have the ability to participate in these frontiers by sharing tips and initial steps that can be taken to become a player in professional dialogue,” he said.

“The Hyper Network” will be held in the School of International Service on the steps outside the SIS Founders Room starting at 8 p.m.

dkahen-kashi@theeagleonline.com