The Naked & Famous master stage and sound

The Naked and Famous played not one, but two nights at D.C.’s 9:30 Club last weekend. With tickets for the initial Sunday, Oct. 6 performance selling out in the blink of an eye, one night in D.C. proved insufficient for fans of the increasingly successful alternative synth-rock group. Even after announcing a second performance on Oct. 7, tickets were sold out by the evening of the show.

The Colourist opened the night with an energetic performance rife with the sunshiny alt-pop one would expect, given their Orange County, Ca. roots. Catchy hooks and abundant on-stage energy made up for the audience’s unfamiliarity with their music, making The Colourist an entertaining opening act overall.

When The Naked and Famous took over, their three plus years of touring experience made it clear who was in charge of the evening. From start to finish, The Naked and Famous demonstrated their abilities as not only excellent musicians, but as performers. Strobe lights and vibrantly colored spotlights played across thick clouds of fog that framed the stage and hung over the front of the house. After opening the set with new songs like “A Stillness” and “Hearts Like Ours,” The Naked and Famous really got the crowd going with a debut album favorite “Girls Like You.”

The overall blend of new and old was excellent, and the stunning lights and effects made for a nearly immaculate performance that left virtually no audience member disappointed.

Alisa Xayalith’s crystal clear vocals led a crowd-wide sing-a-long during “Rolling Waves,” making the thunderously bass heavy song a crowd favorite during the main set. Old favorites such as “All of This” and “Punching in a Dream” were also met with great enthusiasm.

The Naked and Famous finished on an undeniable high note, closing their encore with a refreshed performance of their hit “Young Blood.” New life was breathed into the song, which sounded even better than on 2010’s “Passive Me, Aggressive You” recording.

The Naked and Famous closed their show with a proud display of just how far they’ve come as musicians, as performers, and as a band. The crowd jumped, danced, and sang along beneath whirling spotlights and strobe-illuminated fog. The display of crowd enthusiasm made it clear: The Naked and Famous will always be welcome in D.C.