IT problems delay SG elections

The fall 2013 Student Government elections were postponed due to technology issues, according to an email sent out to students on Oct. 7.

The election was originally scheduled for Oct. 8, but will now take place on Oct. 15 and Oct. 16. The results will be announced on Oct. 16 at 10 p.m. in the Tavern.

The decision to push back the election was made after SG was notified by the Office of Information Technology that voting would not be available by 9 a.m. Oct. 8. However, SG Secretary Rosemary Cipriano said she did not know what caused the delay.

This is not the first time SG has encountered technical problems with SG elections.

“We’ve had problems with voting in the past, like students were able to vote for candidates in a different class or school than themselves,” Cipriano said, “Those are usually the problems we face, or students not being able to access any of the ballots.”

The election was postponed a week so it would not conflict with fall break.

“We wanted to make sure everyone was on campus and able to attend the election results,” Cipriano said in an email.

The Office of Information Technology did not respond in time for publication of this story.

rzisser@theeagleonline.com