Five foods that rock: where to eat after a DC concert

ON STANDS NOW: Here are five cheap, nearby eating places after a late night concert.

After sitting through a late night show, the heavy drums and bass are often replaced by a growling stomach. Between D.C.’s early closing times and expensive dining options, sometimes finding post-concert eats on a student’s budget can seem like a hopeless pursuit.

Lucky for you, the Scene offers five affordable after show options that are open late and within walking distance to some of our favorite venues.

U STREET
Nearby venues: U Street Music Hall, 9:30 club, Black Cat

&pizza
1250 U St., NW
Washington, D.C. 20009

&pizza is becoming a D.C. staple a it gains popularity on H and U Streets, and will soon open new locations in Brookland, Bethesda and Germantown. Called “the Chipotle of Pizza,” this place uses the assembly line process to make gourmet cuisine for under $10. If you need inspiration, try one of their suggested pizzas such as the “Kiss and Fire,” which features spicy tomato sauce, a provolone blend of cheeses, ricotta, veal and pork meatballs and mushrooms, topped with a strawberry balsamic reduction. But if you’re feeling creative, make your own pizza with your choice of dough, sauce, cheese and toppings.

Oohs and Aahs
1005 U St., NW
Washington, D.C. 20001

Across the street from the U Street Metro station and a few streets down from Ben’s Chili Bowl, Oohs and Aahs kitchen serves up the best soul food in Northwest Washington. Follow in the footsteps of Guy Fieri by sampling the place’s delicious ribs, chicken or shrimp. Oohs and Aahs is one of the rare places where the sides are equally as good as the main dishes (if not better). If you like wings, get one of the four flavors (BBQ, buffalo, lemon pepper or teriyaki) with a side of some amazing mac ‘n cheese or yams and look forward to having enough food to last the next week.

ADAMS MORGAN
Nearby venues: Madams Organ, Bossa

Julia’s Empanadas
2452 18th St., NW
Washington, D.C. 20009

Although Adams Morgan doesn’t have an official concert venue, there is always live music playing at Madam’s Organ and Tryst. If you’re on a college student’s budget, Julia’s Empanadas is the perfect place. With both Spanish and Jamaican-influenced empanadas, it’s easy to get a hearty meal for a low price. There are options to satisfy everyone, including empanadas for vegans as well as dessert empanadas. This portable option is perfect for walking the streets of Adams Morgan before you catch a band.

H STREET
Nearby venues: Rock and Roll Hotel

Toki Underground
1234 H St., NE
Washington, D.C. 20002

Right down the street from Rock and Roll Hotel sits Toki Underground, an art-themed ramen house serving authentic Asian dishes with a side of cool. Art influences everything at Toki, from the décor to the menu and the dishes themselves. This ramen is not your average eating-on-college-student’s-budget ramen—it’s made with fresh ingredients like pork, seasonal vegetables and pickled ginger. Besides being known for its ramen, Toki also excels in the art of dumplings. The short menu makes it easy to pick your dinner, eat and get to your show.

SILVER SPRING
Nearby venues: The Fillmore

Quarry House Tavern
8401 Georgia Ave.,
Silver Spring MD 20910

Lovingly referred to as “Silver Spring’s favorite dive,” Quarry House Tavern has been a bar food staple for more than 70 years. Most people come for the atmosphere of the basement— a loud, grungy anti-sports bar where conversation and drinks flow nonstop. Quarry House Tavern is known for its burgers and wings as well as its extensive fried options, so definitely try their famous tater tots and a signature burger or wings. It’s close to the Fillmore with a stage for live acts and a jukebox for all other nights.