Audiophile 10.02.13

London Grammar – If You Wait
With a deep whisper and ice-cold falsetto, London Grammar’s Hannah Reid guides us on a magic carpet ride through bottomless oceans and dark caverns. The band’s debut album “If You Wait” is gravity-defying, epiphany-inducing and reality-resisting, leaving little to be desired. The British trio specializes in atmospheric and reflective tracks, creating an ambiance that is punctuated by the lead singer’s unique voice and the band’s attention to its craft. Most songs are slow and moody, but their pulses separate them from one another. “Metal and Dust” and “Strong” shine as representative tunes, but “Wasting My Young Years” paints a different, lighter picture when optimism rears its head. With a soulful and synthetic authenticity, London Grammar is making waves.
*Recommended If You Like: Florence Welch, Haim, BANKS
*
– Mandi Ray, WVAU music staffer

The Stepkids – Troubadour
Pop/R&B/funk trio The Stepkids originally sharpened their talents as a backing tour band for the likes of Alicia Keys and 50 Cent. Their experience is evident on their sophomore album, which bears the influence of ‘80s funk and R&B. An abundance of colorful synth swaths and squawks give the album a heavy electronic lean, but with no shortage of bass-like grooves. The band also reveals a musical repertoire featuring oddly appropriate banjos (“Memoirs of Grey”) and turntable scratches (“The Lottery”) to stave off any monotony. Their efforts at variety are not always successful; the plodding “Insecure Troubadour” eschews the soulful retro sound characterizing the album’s stronger tracks. Troubadour is an otherwise fun and funky release.
RIYL: DāM-Funk, James Pants, Prince

– Rafael Smith, The Funk Box on Wednesday 4-5 p.m.

Slow Skies – Close
Dublin’s Slow Skies’ second EP is too short. At just 17 minutes, the beautifully haunting vocals from Karen Sheridan have a mesmerizing power; that’s not including the rest of the band. Conal Herron and Patrick O’Laoghaire complete the eerily gentle tracks with subtle guitar and vibes. Less folky than on their first EP Silhouettes, Slow Skies seems to be softly finding their way. The moving melody in “Close” sounds faintly and ironically like Rhye’s “Open” but with more pedals and a different kind of sadness. There’s a dimmed echo about Close. The more you listen the deeper into its trance you’ll get. And what’s even better is the band doesn’t talk about their style in interviews, but rather tells how much they enjoy making music together and how eager they are to keep going. Hopefully we’ll hear more from Slow Skies soon.
RIYL: Julia Stone, Rhye, Imogen Heap, Sui Zhen

– Molly Pfeffer, Velvet Sessions on Tuesday 6-8 p.m.

San Fermin – San Fermin
Take whatever you like about Dirty Projectors, then everything that you like about chamber pop (if anything), then everything you like about Matt Berminger of The National’s voice (also, if anything), and you have San Fermin’s newest self-titled album. The male lead and female leads add an air of Dirty Projectors style, with the two females singing in a really similar tone to the group. Songs are melodic, sweeping and catchy, with a more polished orchestral sound culminating in expansive, strong endings. Nearly every track boasts fantastic horns and strings sections, adding depth and complexity to the album. For a first release, this album definitely sets an awesome tone for the future of San Fermin. Expect great things, people.
RIYL: Chamber Pop, Dirty Projectors, Classical goes Pop

– Clare Teeling, WVAU music staffer

The Orwells – Who Needs You
This EP starts with the title track, sung with intensity with a fun guitar hook. The next track, “Open Your Eyes (A Misfits Rip-off),” might be the most aptly named song ever. You really have to appreciate their honesty here because this track is 100 percent a Misfits rip-off, and they tell you right in the track title who they are ripping off. Let’s face it, it’s hard to be original now since a lot has been done before, so these guys have no shame and tell you. The third track is a Black Lips rip-off, with a fast tempo and catchy chorus. Again, no shame. The last track is slower and winds the EP down. If you like the bands they are ripping off, you will definitely like these tracks.
RIYL: Slam Dunk, The Misfits, Black Lips

-Drew Sher, Fer Sher on Friday 4-6 p.m.