The Weeknd transports the DMV to Kiss Land

The DMV had no idea what Kiss Land entailed, but The Weeknd eased everyone into his
animated world at DAR Constitution Hall on Oct. 5.

At first glance, the venue for this show seemed like a poor choice. DAR Constitution Hall is a
huge seated venue with so much open space and a wide, but tiny stage. From the floor to the
ceiling, everything feels distant. I did not know if the artist who sounds so good in studio could
deliver on the same level in a high production live performance. And with such moody music,
the large space didn’t give off vibes for an intimate setting.

These anxieties were immediately put to rest by Banks. Performing on her first tour ever, Banks
complimented The Weeknd well. Cast under dark, ambient lighting, the singer was constantly in
motion, gracefully dancing around the stage. “This Is What It Feels Like” was entrancing to hear
live, followed by “Before I Ever Met You” and “Change,” all tracks from Banks’ “London” EP.

Banks never stopped interacting with the crowd, conversing in between “Fall Over” and “Warm
Water” about her personal life and embracing insecurities.

“Every woman is a goddess,” Banks said moments before she belted out a cover of Lauryn Hill’s
“Ex-Factor.” The audience was so taken back by the power of her vocals and reacted in a
hysteria of cheers and shouts. Banks then closed her set with “Waiting Game.”

“D.C. is a special place for me because my family is from here, and they’re all here,” she said.

All at once, the audience was transported to another world— Kiss Land. Bright and animated,
the stage was decorated in neon lights inspired by Tokyo. The Weeknd started with tracks from
his new album “Kiss Land,” including “Adaptation,” “Love In The Sky,” “Belong To The World”
and “The Town.”

The Weeknd’s stage presence was literally out of this world, and performing with a full band
enhanced his voice immensely. Throughout the night, The Weeknd continuously gave credits to
his band, genuinely displaying his appreciation for their contribution to the tour.

Additionally, the venue worked for The Weeknd’s vocals, especially when he delivered a
stripped down version of “What You Need” under a spotlight.

“Even though this is a Kiss Land tour, I’m gonna be playing these… classics tonight,” The
Weeknd said as an intro to “Coming Down” from “House of Balloons.”

The Weeknd also made sure to perform favorites from the “Thursday” EP such as “The Morning” and “High For This,” to which the crowd chanted.

The Weeknd wasn’t hesitant about opening himself to his fans, sharing personal experiences
from touring over the years and explaining what the live Kiss Land experience was all about. He
also showed his sexy side, thrusting and grinding on stage during “The Party & The After Party.”

Of course, The Weeknd wouldn’t be where he is today without his fellow Torontonian, Drake,
and he paid homage to his homie with “Live For” and “Crew Love.”

“You guys showed us so much close, thank you. And thank you for the number one album in the
country, I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you guys…Can I ask you one more favor? Can you all
put your lighters up?”

Everyone immediately obliged, sparking their lighters and flashing their cell phones in the air.
The flickering flames set the ideal mood for The Weeknd’s final encore, “Wicked Games.”

The Weeknd completely dominated DAR Constitution Hall on an emotional and physical level,
making the evening in Kiss Land absolutely unforgettable.

sgore@theeagleonline.com