Secondhand stores in the DMV: The best stores for all your needs

As an avid thrifter and former writer of the “Secondhand Style” column for the Eagle, I like to think that I have a grasp on the thrift store “scene” in DC. I’ve come to discover that many of the secondhand stores in DC are consignment shops (for those who don’t know, this is when you sell clothing back to a store in return for a fraction of your money back) as opposed to true thrift stores. Because of this, the prices of the clothing and accessories may cost more than at a thrift store, but don’t let this discourage you. Here is a small selection of some of my personal favorite secondhand shops in and around DC; a few of them pulled from previous columns and some of them brand new!

Reddz Trading
7801 Woodmont Ave
Bethesda, MD 20814
(301) 656-7333

1413 Wisconsin Ave N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20007
(202) 506-2789

Reddz Trading started in Bethesda and just recently opened its second location in Georgetown. It is a consignment shop as opposed to a thrift store, but as I’ve already said, don’t let the higher prices deter you. The clothing selection differs depending upon which location you choose. The buyers are practically purchasing from their own backyards, meaning that (for the most part) the clothing sold at the Georgetown location will be a bit more upscale than the clothing at the Bethesda location. Judging from what I saw during my visits, the accessories selection at both stores is phenomenal as well. Definitely consider a visit to both stores and see which one caters more to your style!

Mustard Seed
7349 Wisconsin Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20814
(301) 907-4699

Mustard Seed is a consignment shop, so its inventory is constantly fluctuating. But count on the store for stylish seasonal clothing from both name-brand mall stores (think Forever 21 and H&M) alongside more high-end designers for a much more affordable price. In my opinion, a lot of Mustard Seed’s sparkle comes from its vintage clothing and cute jewelry.

Unique Thrift Store
10121 New Hampshire Ave.
Silver Spring, MD

If you have a car (or have access to a car) and you’re looking for a true thrift store, I highly suggest heading into Silver Spring to visit Unique. Everything about this store makes me glad to be a secondhand shopper. First of all, it’s huge. I mean, it is truly enormous. And it doesn’t only sell clothing and accessories, but also books, appliances, knick-knacks, etc. You name it, and you can probably find it at Unique.
This thrift store has a lot of potential for great buys; I came across several dresses this past summer that I could have sworn Urban Outfitters was simultaneously selling for quadruple the price. And it also doesn’t fail to bring forward the thrift store qualities people have grown to love — a Keith Sweat souvenir concert t-shirt? Okay!

Frugalista
3069 Mt Pleasant St NW
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 328-2135

A great place for sweaters and office-appropriate attire for men and women. Prices can be a bit steep, however, so be mindful when you’re shopping. You don’t want to get ripped off!

Martha’s Outfitters
2114 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009

A small thrift store conjoined with the non-profit Martha’s Table in the U St. Corridor. Prices are low and all the proceeds help the charity, but the selection can be hit-or-miss.