Pinback excites 9:30 club crowd on Sunday night

The excitement was palpable at the 9:30 club on Sept. 15 as an anxious crowd awaited indie rockers Pinback.

It’s been almost a year since the trio toured in D.C. and since then the band released “Information Retrieved”, their fifth studio album.

The crowd was comprised mostly of bespectacled, button-downed dudes and their significant others. It was obvious that this crowd hasn’t used or even thought of the terms “fake I.D.” or “underage drinking” in about a decade.

Pinback came to the stage with lead singer and guitarist Rob Crow sporting two bright pink barrettes and a pair of basketball shorts. Energy levels soared as the band played through all the hits, including “Oh, Penelope,” “Loro,” and “Good to Sea,” as well as several deep cuts (“Tripoli,” “Offline PK”) and newer releases.

During one song, Crow abandoned his guitar to perform several jumping jacks, do a strange rendition of the worm and run through the crowd, eventually coming to dance on top of the bar. The band was completely on point, playing through their clockwork-like songs effortlessly.

For a band that churns out momentous pre-bedtime jams, the excitement level remained high throughout the performance. All in all, it was everything one would want out of a really great show.