Mission Improv-able members Devan Joseph, Jeff Friedman and Aoife Dowd.

Mission Improv-able starts year with big laughs, low membership

Mission Improv-able, AU’s improv comedy troupe, roused a crowd in the Tavern for 90 minutes of unrehearsed hilarity on Sept. 12.

It was a night of outrageous characters and outsized personalities. Co-host Devan Joseph, a senior in the School of Communication, impersonated Charles Manson for The Dating Game, in which one troupe member guesses the identities of three other troupe members.

When asked about the perfect date night, Joseph replied with an evil glint in his eye, “I would take you to meet my family, and then we would die!”

However, co-host Colin Dame, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, dared to inhabit the intimidating role of Jesus Christ. “I’m a bit of a drinker,” he teased.

Later in the show, co-director Shawn Bush, a senior in the School of Public Affairs and CAS, improvised the surreal, increasingly raunchy Dime Store Novel “Koala Lost His Wallet,” and Dame lampooned Nicolas Cage’s cult of personality in the imaginary film “Nic Cage Turns Down a Movie Deal.”

CAS

At the end of the show, Bush urged students to come out for auditions and bring a few friends to keep the atmosphere more comfortable. With members David Shadburn, a junior in the School of Public Affairs, and Virginia Lyon, a junior in the School of International Service, abroad this semester, the troupe has only five current players.

Auditions will be held in MGC 4 Tuesday, Sept. 17 and Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 8 p.m.

Co-director Jeff Friedman, a SPA senior, said the troupe wants to fill out its ensemble with enthusiastic students who aren’t too focused on trying to make people laugh.

“We’re looking for people who are willing to not hold back or be afraid of making a fool of themselves,” Friedman said. “Be yourself!”

mlieberman@theeagleonline.com