Dress to impress, not distract at internships

The saying “dress to impress” applies to most situations, but AU interns occasionally take this mantra to the extreme.

Not following the office dress code can backfire instead of show ambition, according to Career Center Adviser Julia Beyer. Being overdressed in a more casual work environment may set interns apart from the rest of the office in an unfavorable way.

“You can imagine that as an intern if you showed up in a business suit everyday and the office dress code was jeans, particularly in industries where casual dress is more accepted, you would stand out in a negative way,” Beyer said.

Overdressing for an internship may convey eagerness and ambition, but a future career can be stunted by this faux pas, Kogod Career Management Adviser John O’Neill said.

Chances of returning to the internship, becoming a paid employee and having valuable network connections from the company can be put on the line if an intern’s clothes do not fit in with the office culture, according to O’Neill.

Knowing how to dress appropriately in the office can show initiative and a keen observation.

“If you dress as your colleagues dress, it shows that you are paying attention, and helps you adopt the working style that hopefully drew you to the organization in the first place,” O’Neill said.

Interns can avoid this mistake by looking carefully at the office dress code during an interview or on the first day.

“Prior to, during, or after your first day, ask a supervisor or coworker about the dress code,” O’Neill said. “Ultimately you want your work and work ethic to stand out more than your clothes, and not to let them become a distraction from the reason you are there.”

jsmith@theeagleonline.com