Actors perform in the Department of Performing Arts’ production of “Wecycling” last year.

AU’s Department of Performing Arts to explore science this season

Correction appended

The Department of Performing Arts has presented students with opportunities to pursue their passions in the arts for the past 30 years, but this year the department will introduce a new twist: science.

For the first time, the Department selected a series that fit into a central theme of science.

Sybil R. Williams, DPA’s Program Director for Theatre and Musical Theatre, said the theme is an attempt to boost AU’s burgeoning science program.

“We’re now looking to build bridges to other departments,” Williams said. “There are ways to make science fun and engaging.”

This year’s shows will also touch on LGBT issues, philosophy, cinematic arts and media censorship, Williams said. Exploring these themes will give students opportunities to find their intellectual passions while enjoying a fun, dynamic theater environment.

This season will also feature a series of pre- or post-performance discussions designed to enrich the theatergoing experience. School of Internationalgraduate academic advisor Jess Holman will be instrumental in planning these talks, said Williams.

Here’s a look at the DPA’s upcoming fall season:

New Student Showcase
Performances: Sept. 20, 21
Director: Randy Baker

This annual AU tradition features new students interested in breaking.into the DPA for the first time. Baker and the crew tailor each performer to one of the pre-written songs or monologues, connected by a central narrative that finds a group of college students reflecting on their freshman year during a 20-year reunion. Williams said the turnout for this year has been heartening with more than 40 students participating.

Steamystery: A Children’s Musical
Performances: Oct. 3-6
Writer: Caleen Jennings, professor in the Department Performing Arts
Director: Caleen Jennings

In this children’s play, the lovable Curious Cat goes on a journey of discovery, learning about the mysteries of science, technology, engineering, the arts and math. “It will serve as a teaching tool to help instructors get students interested in these subjects,” Williams said. Local elementary schools will be invited to experience the whimsical, educational adventures.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Performances: Oct. 17-24, midnight performance on Oct. 25
Director: Cara Gabriel, assistant professor in the Department of Performing Arts

If you’ve ever seen the 1975 cult sensation, preferably at a midnight showing with an enthusiastic, extravagantly costumed audience, you have a pretty solid idea of how this version will look and sound. Williams promises a midnight show complete with the Time Warp and favors for diehard fans.

Marat/Sade
Performances: Nov. 14-16
Director: Randy Baker

This musical within a musical details the institutionalized Marquis de Sade, who stages a musical starring his fellow prisoners. The DPA hopes to use this play to explore issues of censorship in the modern era, with a supplementary discussion about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in the works. According to Williams, the show will leave audiences asking, “Who is really insane?”

mlieberman@theeagleonline.com

Correction: A former version of this story used a photo from an AU Players’ production instead of the corrected one of a show produced by the Department of Performing Arts.