Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024

10 shows to look forward to this fall

*Rock the Bells Festival
Sept. 28 & 29, RFK Stadium *
Two days full of nothing but rap and hip-hop in the “Chocolate City”- what could be better? In addition to having an easily accessible location in the DMV, this lineup absolutely slays with artists that include Kid Cudi, Common, A$AP Mob, Wu Tang Clan, J. Cole and Riff Raff. With roughly 60 performers scheduled, the price of this festival is so worth it for such high quality hip-hop/rap entertainment.

*The Weeknd
Oct. 5, DAR Constitution Hall*
The show follows the release of The Weeknd’s long-awaited album “Kiss Land.” The opening talent for this gig will be BANKS, a soulful solo artist from Los Angeles who finds beauty in the darkness. Get ready to get emotional.

*The 1975
Oct. 11, Black Cat *
This Manchester based indie-rock band has been on the rise for years, but they’re finally having their breakthrough moment right now and it tastes sweet like chocolate. The 1975’s debut self-titled album comes out this month, but with two highly acclaimed EPs to their name, it’s bound to be a hit. Get tickets now while they’re still on the market.

*Aaron Carter
Oct. 20, The Fillmore*
This isn’t a joke. Former tween pop sensation Aaron Carter is back in the game. Whether or not he’s better than ever will have to be determined, but the After Party Tour is something no one should miss. It’s the year of comebacks, y’all.

*Fiona Apple
Oct. 25, Lincoln Theatre *
The legendary Fiona Apple returns with Blake Mills. This date is the last show of the entire tour, so it’s bound to be a special night for all. Whether alone or with friends, it’s going to be an intimate evening that will touch each and every person at the bottom of their core forever.

*How To Dress Well
Oct. 28, U Street Music Hall *
For those who couldn’t snag tickets for the sold out Disclosure show, How To Dress Well is the next best alternative (Dare say, the better choice!). A moniker for Tom Krell, How To Dress Well satisfies the senses with his smooth, electro-R&B tunes. Bring a date, this is definitely going to be one of THOSE nights.

*Drake
Oct. 31, Verizon Center *
Obviously, Drake wants everyone to mask themselves and their feelings when he comes to the Verizon Center on Halloween. Performing a month after the release of his long-awaited “Nothing Was the Same” album, this show should be nothing short of legendary. With Miguel and Future opening, it will be a spooktacular night to remember.

*James Blake
Nov. 2, 9:30 Club *
A few months back, James Blake graced the 9:30 Club, and it was one of those groundbreaking performances that left the entire audience in shock or in tears. With a beautiful voice and soul to match, Blake is back for more. Don’t make the same mistake twice if you missed him before.

*Sleigh Bells
Nov. 19, 9:30 Club*
The comeback kids who talk all that noise-pop are finally back in action. With Sleigh Bells’ third album “Bitter Rivals” set for release in October, this show is going to be off the chain, for rill-rill.

*Laura Mvula
Nov. 19, The Hamilton*
Another British breakout artist, singer-songwriter Laura Mvula has been stealing hearts with her beautifully soulful music. Earlier this year, she dropped her debut album “Sing To The Moon”. Anyone who’s a fan of Lianna La Havas or Yuna should definitely check this cool chick out.

sgore@theeagleonline.com