Q&A: Dave Grant, Guitarist of Poor Young Things

Dave Grant, guitarist for the Poor Young Things, tells how the band came to life inauspiciously as a high school gang of misfit toys that lifted its roots from their home in Thunder Bay to Toronto. Since then they have transformed into an alternative rock powerhouse with sonic-smashing melodies and ruddy vocals reminiscent of the Foo Fighters. The band Poor Young Things will swing into D.C. for a show at DC9 on Aug. 7.

The Eagle's Tam Sackman talks to Grant about life on the road, influences on his music and the origins of the band.

TS: Were you friends in high school or was that just your first encounter with them?

DG: We were more acquaintances in high school, there were two groups that formed two bands. They took the best musicians out of each of those bands and formed what would be Poor Young Things.

TS: I read on your website that at a certain point you all moved in together. How did that change the band's dynamic?

DG: Not only did we move in together, we changed cities. We moved from our hometown in Northwest Ontario called Thunder Bay to Toronto. That's when we decided to take this whole music thing on a professional level. So it was all business.

TS: Tell me about "The Heart. The Head. The End." How do you feel about it as a debut album?

DG: I love the album. I'm really proud of it. It's like a snapshot into the life of a 25-year-old. We're all trying to get somewhere. You could be a kid in university- you're making sacrifices. We're a rock and roll band on the road all of the time and we're making different kinds of sacrifices and we're all trying to get somewhere. I think that's pretty much what the album kind of encapsulates.

TS: What song on the album is your personal favorite and why?

DG: I like "Black Lightning," "Ghost Notes," and "Sign of the Times." I can't pick between those three. "Ghost Notes" is one of our slower songs, but in typical Poor Young Things Style, it ramps up in the end. And the other two I just really enjoy playing live.

TS: What effect has working with producer Jon Drew had on your music?

DG: The guy is a sonic genius. He knows the sounds that we want, we'll describe a sound to him and he will just instinctively know how to get that sound. We work well together. He's changed our music by just being able to achieve what we're hearing.

TS: You guys have been a part of Warped Tour along with having your own headlining shows around the U.S. and Canada. Do you prefer a festival like Warped or a more intimate venue?

DG: Well, there's nothing like playing an intimate venue when you can see the beads of sweat dripping off the fans' faces because its such a hot and sweaty bar. But there's a different aspect about playing outside in a Warped Tour festival gig. You almost have a built-in crowd there. So, you're making new fans who typically wouldn't be seeking you. They'll just be walking by the stage, and they'll see you and either like you or dislike you.

TS: Are there any major differences between touring in the US and Canada?

DG: Well, we've been touring in Canada (obviously, being Canadians) a lot more. So we have a bit bigger of a fan base there. But touring in the States is more of a fight because people have no idea who we are. The fight is to win them over. I personally get a lot of joy out of the people in the crowd having no idea who we are, and at the end of the show really enjoy what we've played.

TS: Is there anything that you miss about home when you're on the road?

DG: Family. I miss my girlfriend when I'm on the road. But it's OK. We survive. Waking up in your own bed is something that you miss after about week number three. Having a stocked fridge of food is always good too. No room for the fridge on the bus.

TS: You guys were nominated and won Sirius XM Artist of the Year. Did that change anything for you? How did it feel?

DG: We were nominated with a whole bunch of people who were very well established. We totally did not expect to win. It came down to fan voting, and we came out on top. Some of the people we were up against had like ten times the social network reach than we did. For us to come out on top was very flattering and an honor.

TS: What bands and artists do you admire the most?

DG: There's a Canadian band called Arkells. We love those guys. Their high-energy show is something we try to achieve whenever we play. There's another Canadian band called Teenage Kicks, they're super cool. Gaslight Anthem we like. Even old stuff, like Springsteen and Petty.

TS: Is there anything else you'd like audiences to know about your show at DC9 or any of the shows on this tour?

DG: We're a hard working Canadian rock and roll band. We put on a high-energy show. If you want to come get entertained, come down to DC9 and we'll put on a good show for you.

Catch Grant and the rest of Poor Young Things when they play DC9 on Aug. 7.

Time: 8:00 pm

Tickets: $10