Movie Review: 2 Guns

Well, here's a galumphing bon mot for "Bartlett's Familiar Quotations."

"Never rob a bank across from a diner with the best donuts in three counties." It is said multiple times and it's also the most satisfyingly nonsensical sentiment expressed in Baltasar Kormakur's ("Contraband") "2 Guns." Unfortunately, everything else is a by-the-numbers predictable affair. However, it is executed competently with engaging wide action shots of stuff crashing into each other.

Based on Steven Grant's graphic novel of the same name, "2 Guns" targets on Robert Tench (Denzel Washington, "Man on Fire") and Michael Stigman (Mark Wahlberg, "Ted") are off-kilter schlubs who plan to rob a bank and swindle the drug lord Papi Greco (Edward James Olmos, "Battlestar Galactica") for all he's worth in a perceived sting operation.

This bank of riches amounts to roughly $3 million, but when Tench and Stigman finally rob the bank, they find more than what they bargained for upon discovering an extra $40 million.

From there on out, a wacky low stakes cat-and-mouse game occurs.

As the double crosses quadruple and the increasing amount of rogue villain characters begin to appear, Tench and Stigman have to work together to stop bad guys and get the money back from Stigman's commanding officer Quince (James Marsden, "Enchanted"). "2 Guns" is a needlessly difficult movie to follow and this is primarily caused by the dozens of characters ebb and flow throughout the film with the grace of a tidal wave.

The action and characterization of the story aren't of much consequence either. All that really matters is where the money is, but in that respect "2 Guns" is fairly run-of-the-mill for a heist film. Its conclusion is a shot that can be heard from miles away and conscripts qualities from other films such as "Oceans 11" and "The Town." Even if one has seen Oliver Stone's "Savages," they can probably grasp the visual and plot contrivances being resurrected once again in "2 Guns."

One of the more curious quandaries is the languid attention to tone, which can switch from comic vagrancies catapulted between enemies to gravely melodramatic vagaries with the pull of a trigger and creates unintentionally hilarious moments.

The saving grace for "2 Guns" is the on screen chemistry between Wahlberg and Washington. The 2 W's seem to enjoy acting out with comic dialogue and performing the gun play fantasies in this battle of the witless.

Blake Masters's ("Law and Order: Los Angeles") screenplay makes everyone seem more clever than they actually are and the repetitive and clunky nature of some lines will certainly induce more unintentional spouts of laughter. With that said, the finale is pure 80's action movie style schlock.

"2 Guns" is a well constructed piece of work technically, but has the brains of "Hard Ticket to Hawaii." Bobby Beans says to Paula Patton's ("Precious") character Deb, "I really meant to love you."

The same expression could be applied to "2 Guns" well after the film has ended and ample reflection has been heartily applied.

dkahen-kashi@theeagleonline.com