Finding "Trust" premieres at the Goethe Institut

Grade: D

Finding "Trust" from force/collision on Vimeo.

The Goethe-Institut hosted a screening of "Finding 'Trust'" on July 8, a hybrid of both documentary and theater performance in a film directed by John Moletress. As the title implies, the hour-long film explores the dance production "Trust Me," courtesy of Moletress' brainchild, force/collision, an organization dedicated to compiling works by various artists and collaborators. "Trust Me" features text by Falk Richter, a contemporary German playwright and director, whose work can be heard in the first few minutes of "Finding 'Trust.'"

A narration of Richter's play that rambled on for far too long was accompanied by a disenchanting opening scene of a sunset. In an artistic attempt, Moletress maneuvered the camera in a circular motion, capturing the unchanging sunset background.

As the description of "Finding 'Trust'" implies, and as was reaffirmed by the cast present at the screening, the film's intention was to explore the intellectual underpinnings of Western culture on our body and psyche specifically and the influences of German and American culture.

These themes have been explored time and again in contemporary artistic pieces, and Moletress' "Finding 'Trust'" proves to be just another fish in the sea, with no remarkable qualities distinguishing it from the others.

Because themes such as consumerism and individualism are so common in artistic representations, it becomes much more difficult to develop an original piece that speaks to these themes in an innovative way. However, the theatrical production, "Trust Me," could potentially prove more explanatory of the ideas behind "Finding 'Trust,'" which was described by the cast as a process piece, or a subset of the full-length theatrical production.

The cast pushed the idea that "Finding 'Trust'" was meant to be a dialogue of what went into the production of "Trust Me." However, the audience seemed unconvinced, finding confusion in place of trust.

The audience made comments such as, "what am I looking at?" and "I could not get a sense of the comparison between American and German cultures." One audience member claimed that he was close to walking out.

Although the interpretive dance movements and acting in general appeared forced, "Finding 'Trust'" did have some redeeming qualities. Richter's text provides an analysis of the concept that, in a world consumed with individualism and the climb up the corporate ladder, we are constantly in competition with one another.

Nobody is safe from the psyche's comparison of us versus everybody else. Richter's influence on "Trust Me" is an exploration of the western values instilled in the current generation, and how these values are damaging us both individually and collectively. The preoccupation with personal value is facilitating an inferiority complex, making it all the more difficult to bare ourselves emotionally and physically to others. We are in a constant struggle to trust those around us, but this is a difficult feat when, to fully trust others, you must first trust and believe in yourself, despite the flaws.

Although Richter's text proves insightful, the execution of the production by Moletress lacks direction, as well as the creative aspect to differentiate it from other art pieces that speak to similar themes. Furthermore, the entirety of the film was out of focus, giving the audience the impression that the film was of an unprofessional quality from the onset. However, there is something to be said about Moletress' good music taste, judging by Radiohead's "How To Disappear Completely" as the soundtrack for the last few moments of "Finding 'Trust.'"