Exhibit at Spanish Embassy explores societal divisions

Inés Medina's art exhibit "The Concept of Plastic Division" at the Embassy of Spain provides insight into an artist's perception of societal divisions.

Medina looks to the psychological and philosophical realms, begging the question of how the divisions in our everyday lives - regarding gender, wealth and religion, to name a few - influence our identities and our constant struggle for power.

Medina, hailing from the Basque Country of Spain, succeeds at translating her ideas of the self into artwork that speaks to the influence of the constant power struggle and how we view ourselves in comparison to others.

Medina stresses that as a society, we seem to need these divisions instead of simply understanding and learning from our different perspectives.

"Human beings are seduced by power, but power creates conflict," Medina said. "However, we all need power for protection. Fear is at the foundation of everything in our society."

This theory is manifested through her composition titled, "Facing the dividing monster of fear."

Medina's artwork offers a captivating mix of contrasting hues, altered based on the subject matter.

Additionally, the wording Medina uses for the titles of the paintings differ based on the location. The New York paintings seem to manifest the disintegration of one's identity, with titles such as "Panic!" and "What is going on with the monster?" while the paintings completed in Spain focus on a more positive reflection of the self.

Once again, Medina succeeds at indirectly urging the exhibit's spectators to reflect upon the structure of their societies.

"The Concept of Plastic Division" seemed to elicit a positive response from the exhibit's many spectators, thanks to Medina's skillful use of the oil, charcoal and watercolor mediums, and the profound reflections on the differences of our social roles displayed by her artwork.

Where: Embassy of Spain, located at 2375 Pennsylvania Avenue NW.

When: On display until July 30

Price: Admission is free during visiting hours, Monday through Thursday 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and Friday 9:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.