TV Pick: Hannibal

"Hello, Clarice” is arguably one of the most quotable lines in cinematic history, uttered by Anthony Hopkins to Jodie Foster in Jonathan Demme’s 1991 “Silence of the Lambs.”

Since then, the character of Hannibal Lecter has enraptured the viewing public with his unnervingly polite demeanor and cannibalistic eating habits.

TV impresario Bryan Fuller, creator and writer of shows “Dead Like Me” and “Pushing Daisies,” has resurrected Lecter in an intelligent procedural to NBC with Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen (“Casino Royale”) in the title role.

Mikkelsen’s waxy complexion and accented speech fits the character well as he works in conjunction with troubled, antisocial Agent Will Graham, played by Hugh Dancy.

Offerings include well-crafted, sometimes Kubrickian cinematography, writing and rich performances by both Mikkelsen and Dancy as they chase each other in a grisly game of cat and mouse.

With Laurence Fishburne (“The Matrix”) supporting the cast and David Slade (“30 Days of Night”) producing, “Hannibal” offers a more refined vision of gruesome crimes and the psychotic criminals who do them.

dkahen-kashi@theeagleonline.com