Take 5: Legend Roger Ebert passes, Terrence Malick releases new film

Rest In Peace, Roger Ebert (1942-2013)

Roger Ebert, one of the most influential and widely-respected film critics of all time, passed away last week at the age of 70, after a long battle with cancer.

Ebert's witty, impassioned reviews championed the best and brightest that cinema had to offer while never failing to challenge Hollywood norms or criticize problematic films.

Even when surgery robbed him of his ability to speak, Ebert continued to write with impressive frequency, developing a massive online following and demonstrating a truly wonderful commitment to his love of the cinema.

A short blurb can hardly do him justice. Rest in peace, Roger.

A Lecture on "Hannibal" Lecter

NBC is in dire straits commercially right now, with even its most popular programs sinking to all-time viewership lows.

However, the network may have stumbled on a hit. Bryan Fuller's "Hannibal," starring everyone's favorite cannibalistic villain, has attracted critical raves for its nuanced perspective on the serial killer tropes found in such recent shows as "The Following" and "Dexter."

Rather than glorifying the violence, Fuller's show puts it under a microscope with beautiful visuals, compelling performances by Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen, and a surprisingly intellectual exploration of the psychology of an apparent lunatic.

Movie Magic