Dipping into shakshuka

As many of you may know, or be personally experiencing, the Jewish holiday of Passover is upon us. It's hard not to eat the usual carbohydrate-filled diet for these eight days. But this year, I'm taking it as a challenge to eat better and make matzo tolerable.

One way I will be doing this is with shakshuka, a tomato- and egg-based Israeli dish that I serve in a frying pan as a sort of dip to be shared with friends. If I can dip into it with a baguette, then why not matzo?

What you'll need:

• 1 yellow onion • 4-6 cloves of garlic • A few peppers (any kind will do) • 1/4 cup olive oil • 1 28 oz. can of peeled tomatoes • 6 eggs • Parsley • Feta cheese

Instructions:

Use a large frying pan. Dice a small yellow onion, a few cloves of garlic (anywhere between four to six, depending on your taste preference) and any sort of peppers you like. (I make this stipulation on garlic because some people like it very strong. My stepmother, for instance, seems to use it as a miasmic weapon.)

Put the diced ingredients in the pan with enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the skillet, a little bit less than 1/4 cup.

Once the onions are translucent, add one 28-ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes. While all this is cooking, use a knife to cut up the whole tomatoes so that they can cook more evenly. Make them about the same size as your diced ingredients.

Crack six eggs over the sauce, trying to space them out as evenly as possible. As the eggs start to cook, add your spices. I recommend using cumin, paprika or cayenne pepper depending on your affinity for spicy foods. Lastly, add chopped parsley and feta cheese.

Not only is this dish so tasty, it uses very few items (less to wash after!). You only need a large pan, a spoon (for stirring and maybe taste testing), a cutting board and a knife. This dish also can be used as a thick sauce or topping for anything from pasta to baked potatoes.

How else will I be getting through this holiday? I for one tend to get a little bit hungry around day four, so I load up on a lot of smoothies and frozen vegetables. It's hard when you aren't eating as many carbohydrates to feel full, so try to fill up on veggies and protein. The protein part may be hard for vegetarians, but it can be done. I'll be eating veggies topped with an egg and a little bit of cheese.

Enjoy!

jaremband@theeagleonline.com