President Obama gives a message of optimism at National Christmas tree lighting

President Barack Obama gave a message of optimism about the efforts of Americans recovering from Hurricane Sandy as he and his family lit the National Christmas tree on Dec. 6 for the ceremony’s 90th anniversary.

“This holiday season is especially difficult for families who lost everything in the storm,” Obama said. “But it’s also a time for us to be grateful for the heroism and perseverance of ordinary men and women in the storm’s path who’ve showed us that Americans will always be stronger than the challenges that we face.”

Actor Neil Patrick Harris (“How I Met Your Mother”) hosted the ceremony and joked with the president and actor Rico Rodriguez (“Modern Family”) about going on vacation to Hawaii with the First Family.

Singers Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds, Ledisi, Jason Mraz, Colbie Caillat and James Taylor performed Christmas songs with groups such as The Fray, the Midtown Men, Washington Performing Arts Society gospel choir and the U.S. Navy Band Commodores on the Ellipse.

A cappella groups such as Da Capo, the reigning champion of the National Harmony Sweepstakes a cappella contest, and the local Georgetown Day School Singers performed Christmas carols as part of the pre-show entertainment.