Helio Sequence and Ramona Falls bring mellow energy to the Black Cat

Don’t let their slow start fool you. Portland-based bands Ramona Falls and The Helio Sequence give a mellow and lively performance simultaneously.

Ramona Falls opened for The Helio Sequence Nov. 16 at the Black Cat, although you may want to show up to their concerts a little late, according to Ramona Falls drummer, Paul Alcott.

“We actually played our worst songs first because we didn’t think you were going to be here, so it’s a little embarrassing that you showed up,” Alcott joked.

Once they got going, Ramona Falls was lively and entertaining, drawing heavily from the sounds of bands like The Homosexuals, and starting most of their songs with the sound of the tambourine, which Alcott told the audience was the way all good songs began.

While their music is self-described “head-banger indie,” the band is equally captivating in their humor and approachability.

Be sure to watch for witty political jokes from Alcott, or for lead singer Brent Knopf running the merchandise table and mingling with audience members. This band is friendly and quirky, very much willing to sign posters with a dinosaur for a signature.

The Helio Sequence on the other hand focused more on their music, delivering serious vibes to the crowd.

The band that just released their new album, “Negotiations,” earlier this year, spent the majority of the concert playing exclusively from the new record, leaving more notable tracks such as “Lately” for the last two slots. Despite the new album being the focus, the audience knew every word to every song, singing along as though they were a third member of the two-person band (an experience not typical of indie concerts).

The Helio Sequence gave what turned into a three-song encore due to overwhelming chants.

It became evident during the encore, “Keep your eyes ahead,” that the vocal microphone needed to be turned up. The barely audible lyrics made the song less enjoyable for those who were not already familiar with it.

Despite any small hiccups, The Helio Sequence and Ramona Falls are a lethal combination for any indie fan.