Lessons from the life of an infamous forger

AU students lined up in MGC to hear one of the most notorious criminals of our time speak Nov. 15.

Frank Abagnale, the infamous forger who inspired the movie and Broadway musical “Catch Me if You Can,” warned AU students of the guilt childhood crime can bring.

“I turned down three pardons, from three sitting presidents, because a piece of paper cannot excuse my actions,” Abagnale said at the Kennedy Political Union-sponsored event in the University Club.

He first began committing crimes at the age of 16. Upon hearing of his parents’ divorce, he found choosing between his parents’ homes impossible and instead chose to run away. Abagnale forged deposit slips to support himself, imprinting his own bank account number on the stacks of checks in banks.

In his most famous scheme, Abagnale posed as a Pan Am pilot. He flew more than one million miles for free on over 250 flights to more than 26 countries.

“[Conning the airline became] easy,” he said. “Once you got the jargon down it was the same conversations [with airline employees] every time.”

By the time of his first arrest, Abagnale had successfully posed as a pilot, doctor and lawyer. He also received an FBI warrant for his arrest.

Ten years after leaving home and five years spent in prison, he was granted parole in the United States at the age of 26.

“It was a lonely life,” Abagnale said. “I lost all of my youth.”

He expressed great regret for never getting the opportunity to attend his senior prom, high school football games or be in relationships with girls his own age, due to his constantly changing personas and imprisonment.

Following his release from prison, Abagnale began lecturing at the FBI academy and aiding in FBI field offices. He is married with grown children, but the ex-criminal worries his teenage years will become his only legacy.

“People will tell you life is short,” he said. “Life is not short, it is very very long…believe me [every dishonest action] will bother you for the rest of your life.”

sgaber@theeagleonline.com