Sunday, June 23, 2024
American rap group Chiddy Bang, who set the record for longest continuous rap at the MTV O Music Awards in 2011, will perform in the Tavern on Nov. 17.

Chiddy Bang, Hoodie Allen to play Tavern on Saturday

Clarification appended

UPDATE: Nov. 14 at 5:14 p.m.

Only the first 600 students, the capacity of the Tavern, will be able to get in.

Original story

The Student Union Board will host Chiddy Bang and Hoodie Allen for their second concert of the semester on Nov. 17.

The show will be held in the Tavern on Nov. 17, and doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets will be free to AU students with a student ID.

Chiddy Bang is an American rap group that was founded in 2008 after band members, Chidera Anamege and Noah Beresin, met during their freshman year at Drexel University.

Since then, the band has recorded four mixtapes, three EPs and one studio album titled “Breakfast,” which was released earlier this year.

The band gained popularity after being featured several times on the music blog Pretty Much Amazing and making their debut free mixtape, “The Swelly Express,” in 2009.

Chiddy Bang’s popularity reached new heights in 2011 when they broke the world record for longest rap at the MTV O Music Awards. The duo rapped for nine hours and 18 minutes without stopping, beating the previous record set by M-Eighty in 2009 by three minutes.

Also performing with Chiddy Bang is frat rap upstart Hoodie Allen. After ditching his job at Google in 2011 to pursue rap full-time, the UPenn grad and AEPi brother released a handful of successful mixtapes after his breakout 2010 hit, the Marina and the Diamonds-sampling “You Are Not A Robot.”

Allen’s March 2012 mixtape “All-American,” his first album featuring his producer RJF’s own beats instead of samples, debuted at No. 1 on iTunes. Stay tuned for new mixtape, due later this year.

Clarification: Hoodie Allen is a "special guest." He's not opening for Chiddy Bang.

As the semester comes to an end and one of the founding members leaves American University, Section 202 has decided to take a trip down memory lane. For our fans, old and new, who are wondering how Section 202 came to be, this episode is a must. Listen along as hosts Connor Sturniolo and Liah Argiropoulos reminisce about the beginning of Section 202 and how it got to where it is now.