Upstart hip-hop and hyper-energetic pop make this weeks Five Songs

This week’s list is hip-hop centric — minus Matt & Kim — but that doesn’t mean it is without substance. Take a listen: you’ll never know if you’d like it until you give it a try!

1. “Wrestling is Fake”—Asher Roth:

When Roth’s breakout song “I Love College” was released in 2008, it was the anthem for college students themselves and the kids in high school (like myself) who were picturing the rowdy times they would soon be having.

Since this song, however, Roth has become a much more serious rapper. Earlier this summer, Asher Roth released “Good Morning View,” a groovy tune that emphasizes staying happy, no matter what. “Wrestling is Fake” is Roth’s newest release and a song that could possibly land on his newest album.

This newest track is not Roth’s typical sound. The slight rock undertones confused me upon first listen. But the bass line carries the song, draws you in and makes you want to listen over and over and over again...

2. “The Heart Pt. 3” featuring Ab-Soul and Jay Rock—Kendrick Lamar:

There is some good news and some bad news with this song.

Bad news is that, unfortunately, this track is not on Kendrick Lamar’s debut record, “good kid, m.A.A.d city,” released on Oct. 22.

Good news is that it doesn’t even matter where this song lands on his anthology because it is so good. Lamar’s fanbase has been steadily growing over the past year, partially due to songs like mainstream hit “The Recipe” featuring hip-hop legend Dr. Dre and the favorite “Rigamortus,” off of his 2011 mixtape “Section.80.”

“The Heart Pt. 3” is a sequel to songs with sequential titles that were released on previous mixtapes, but this song will likely have the most buzz of all three. If you like Kendrick’s style, give it a listen, especially since Ab-Soul and Jay Rock complement the song well.

If you’re curious about Lamar, this song will give you a solid foundation.

3. “Po Up”—The Starting Six:

Speaking of Kendrick Lamar; he also recently released an immensely popular song entitled “Swimming Pools (Drank).” This song’s hook is catchy and has been sampled by several rappers making covers or remixes.

Enter The Starting Six. This hip-hop group from the Bay Area is ridiculously silly. They cater to the party crowd. I can’t say I’ve ever heard a serious song from them. Anyhow, “Po Up” will certainly be a hit at your next pregame. You can find it via The Kollection or the group’s Soundcloud account.

4. “Quicktime”—Iggy Azalea:

Iggy Azalea has to be one of my favorite personalities. She is a strong, independent woman who isn’t afraid to say what she wants.

Iggy, a rapper from Australia, recently became the first female member of T.I.’s Hustle Gang label, a huge accomplishment.

Azalea released her mixtape “Trapgold” on Oct. 11. While I am fond of all the songs on the record because of their excellent production value (Diplo is frequently the lead producer), “Quicktime” is a personal favorite and a perfect example of a typical Iggy song: funky and raunchy.

5. “It’s Alright”—Matt & Kim:

I swear I don’t only listen to hip-hop! I am a huge fan of Matt & Kim’s latest album “Lightning,” even though its sound is different from previous records like “Grand” and “Sidewalks.” “Lightning” has more hip-hop and electro influences, and the songs are as fun and upbeat as ever.

“It’s Alright” has been stuck in my head (in a good way!) for the past week, so I suggest giving it a listen if you want something to put a spring in your step for those days that seem to drag.

jmorice@theeagleonline.com